How many divers have experienced is; or is it just ME (thanks)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at different things, TSandM pointed out fish bullying other fish which is entertaining and try different things to occupy time. We had a dive where all we saw was a chair, sat in it for a bit, would have been a cool photo op if we hada magazine. went through another dive 1/2 the time upside down (not a good idea got a nasty headache for a bit)

You badly need a camera.

Everyone likes something different about diving. I've found that some types of dives don't appeal to me, or at least not on a repetitive basis. Hooking in and watching sharks in Palau was really cool. The second time it was pretty interesting. The third day was monotonous. On the fourth day we opted for polywog cove (or somesuch) and a simple wall dive with a family of freshly minted divers and for me, it was much more fun (also better encountering a shark along the wall without being tethered in to do it).
I dove with one fellow on a trip who would be in the water any time any way for a wreck dive, but wouldn't do a reef dive if you paid him.
Different strokes for different folks (just don't use your hands :wink:).

If I get bored on a dive, I start working on skills.

However, I seldom get bored on dives because I only dive what I like.

I went through a similar period when I was first certified here in San Diego. I did a number of dives at the same place where I did my OW training. As the novelty of the whole scuba experience wore off, I became bored with the dive site. I considered becoming strictly a vacation diver. Thankfully, I continued to dive locally because my friends made the entire experience so much fun...I just wasn't so thrilled with the UW part (which lasted a few months). Yeah, I'll admit that sounds a little strange.

Fast forward about a decade. I'm still diving the same spot with the same buddies. The difference is that I'm constantly amazed by how much life there is. The "big" stuff isn't always there, but there's always small stuff...really tiny stuff...stuff so small and camouflaged that it's incredible when you finally notice it. It's fun to see the UW landscape change over the weeks, months, and years. I'm no longer bored with the site. I feel really lucky to be able to dive it.

As long as there is some kind of fish or creatures to watch I never get bored. On ocassion when there is very little wildlife then after about 40 minutes I start getting bored and would rather just get back on the boat. I don't think I would dive just for the sake of diving (not in cold water anyway, maybe in warm), I very much realize I dive to see the underwater living world. I hike also. Other than birds and small lizards I can hike hours without seeing much wildlife (not counting plants). A good hike is when we see a single coyote, deer or rabbit. I still think it's incredible that I can go underwater and in an hour I can see hundreds, maybe thousands of fish swimming within 10-20 feet of me. What I reallly like is when they make eye contact with you.

...What I reallly like is when they make eye contact with you.

is that a fish fetish i hear?

I did shore dives on the same beach for months, to change things around I would enter at different points, I found dozens of beer kegs on the bottom full of king crab, and others were really defined stepped beaches, and I explored wave action on the stones and sediment. Now I want to go back the shore since pond hopping isn't as fun without crabs and sea lions.

Fresh water I will always feed the fish if its the only thing going on. Crawfish, mussles, whatever I can find. Salt water not so much. Reasons are apparent. Don't want to insert one's self anymore into the food chain than one all ready is.

Pray for new eyes to see and they will be granted.

Sounds like you're a wreck diver in waiting. Find what thrills you underwater and seek it out. For every different flavour of ice cream there's a diver with a different reason for diving.

If I get bored on a dive, I start working on skills.

However, I seldom get bored on dives because I only dive what I like.

I agree with modzs. Even in the Caribbean diving the same sites year after year can become all 'too familiar' but what I discovered is to turn inward, analyze and work on my skills, especially buoyancy. Hang out in a very small area and just open your eyes and your mind. You may be surprised at what you see. In my opinion the most interesting things are the smaller things. You will develop a curiosity about the micro-environment. A divemaster taught me almost 20 years ago that those who fin the most see the least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom