How many of you are doing Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox

You can use you usual reg. Up to 40% of O2, you don’t need change anything.
If you dive all the time Nitrox why not make the reg. Nitrox compatible.
Always use a compatible Nitrox tank.
You can also keep you BC (don’t forget when inflating your BC the Nitrox is going into it ).

Notice that air is also Nitrox (21%O2) if more than 21% it is called enriched air Nitrox.

Nitrox reduces nitrogen uptake and secondary off gassing; as off gassing represent a stress for the human body les off gassing whit Nitrox will mean less stress and thus less fatigue.
That is why Nitrox (EAN > 21%O2) is often called :thumb:THE FEEL GOOD GASS:thumb:.

The excess of O2 (>21%)can sometimes depress the respiratory system leading to high levels of CO2. In fact the human body will detect more o2 into blood (little higher saturation of hemoglobin) and decrease ventilation and secondary increasing CO2 levels.
That might also explain why your consumption of gas is lower while breathing Nitrox than with air.

Nitrox and me = :1st:

Fa:)

My BC feels great with Nitrox.
My snorkel is wondering why it can not get more than 21%O2 and is jealous from my reg. and BC.
One day i should purge my snorkel with EAN32 to please it

Fa.

Reactions: Doc
I do hope you're kidding... And have you guys seen the new nitrox infomercial? "Nitrox is the best thing since canned air! Not only will you feel better, your life will dramatically improve! We guarantee your IQ will rise 17 points after only 30 days of using nitrox! 63% of nitrox users win the lottery! Nitrox will make you a better diver! You will breathe less, swim faster, and pay less for dive gear! Did we mention nitrox cures AIDS?"

Yah, I am too young to be that cynnical. But seriously, nitrox is overrated. When I went diving in St. Thomas, the divemaster insisted on using nitrox on every dive... at a maximum depth of 30 feet.

Hello,

Are you sure that the DM wanted nitrox or NITROUS OXIDE?

Ed

:boom:
First i work for a federation: I don’t make money with diving instruction.
Second if I would do the same amount of dives using air i might be in big trouble.
I don’t care if it is or not a feel good gas, I am just concerned about safety regarding DCS.
Believe me it is a feel good gassssss
I was just joking about nitrox, maybe you schould use some nitrox to feel better after dinner for example.
Nitrox does not help with learning English.

Reactions: Doc
Hello,

Yes! I'm on many of the threads :wink:

Ed

Appreciate all the feedback. Called today to get in on the next class. And yes, I meant to say conventional air(ie. 21%) vice conventional oxygen...........

Most of my dives here are in the 60-120 zone so NITROX should be just what the Doc orderd......Looks like my new number will be 32%.............

Thanks-----k_d

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom