How many of you are doing Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed,

It all depends on your point of reference. If we were discussing decompression diving, I might buy your arguments, but the discussion, up until this point has not been about decompression diving, it's been about sport divers using nitrox. That being the case, I stand by my statement that nitrox is most beneficial at moderate, not shallow depths. At shallow depths, the benefits are marginal at best, and on deeper dives the limited additional bottom time obtained with a few extra % points of O2 also makes nitrox an impractical breathing mixture. I agree the US Navy Dive Manual is an excellent reference, but if it states nitrox is most beneficial at depths shallower than 50 ft, it it stating an opinion, not a fact. I have no idea what you mean when you say, "Not to talk bad here but the USN manual does NOT state 'practicality'", perhaps you could translate that for me.

I'm not sure I understand what point you are making by giving us a few mixes and stating where they are practical. Those of us who are nitrox certified and anyone else who's done any research in the area can easily figure MOD for any mix and best mix for any depth.

WWW™

I do a lot of diving on my aquaculture farm in the mid 50 foot range, and nitrox is the way to go. Instead of having to wait almost an hour between air dives, I can dive as soon as my computer resets, allowing 3 tanks for a half day of diving vs. only 2. The equivalent air depth for roughly 55' is in the low 30 foot range, making nitrox virtually a "pretzel proof" gas at this depth. The only limit I ever ran into was the day I did 7 tanks at this depth and started to push my oxygen limits, strange symptoms of wanting to fall asleep standing up...luckily on shore!
When you consider all of the expenses related to making a dive (especially the boat ride) the cost per dive is reduced for nitrox at the 50-60' range. Also at my age (63) the energy boost is dramatic: when I am on nitrox I am 18 again, much more resistant to hypothermia, and I do not "crash" after the day's dives are over!

I am sure the OP would appreciate this advice, assuming that he or she is still diving--or even living--nearly 15 years after asking the question or even participating on ScubaBoard.

I am sure the OP would appreciate this advice, assuming that he or she is still diving--or even living--nearly 15 years after asking the question or even participating on ScubaBoard.

activity.JPG

This was actually a pretty good question back in 2001.
Today, it is the most popular specialty.
I lead occasional dive trips; maybe only 5-10% of the people on those trips are not already Nitrox-certified, so I provide the certification to them at no charge as a trip benefit and to keep everybody with the best chance to be diving together during the week.

Reactions: RJP
A friend was talking about the last live-aboard dive trip he did and said he always uses nitrox for every dive as this allows him to dive deeper and longer. He also said that his surface intervals (SI) are shorter. I said if you stay too long you wipe out any benefit of lower N2 absorption and the SI's may be just as long as air dives. For example, diving to 80 ft on EAN36 has an EAD of 58 ft. Using PADI tables the NDL for for air to 60 ft is 50 minutes and 80 ft is 30 min. Diving to 80 ft on EAN36 will extend your dive by 50-30 or 20 minutes to hit the NDL. The N2 absorbed for the air dive to 60 ft and the nitrox dive to 80 ft will be the same assuming each dive maxs at the NDL. Therefore, the SI will be the same and the extra safety margin will be gone. Just food for thought.

Therefore, the SI will be the same and the extra safety margin will be gone. Just food for thought.
sure you can dive Nitrox to it's limits just like air, but the longer or deeper dive you got to do is still a benefit - a different one, but still a valid benefit.

Thanks for all the posts about the pro's and con's of using enriched air nitrox. I'm going to be taking this specialty course and wanted to have a better understanding.
Thanks for all who posted. I love scubaboard 😃

A friend was talking about the last live-aboard dive trip he did and said he always uses nitrox for every dive as this allows him to dive deeper and longer....

Cats and dogs? Sharing nitrox?

One of the signs of the apocalypse.

I love scubaboard 

I like turtles, too :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom