How many of you have had a dive computer fail?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had two Uwatec before the current Petrel (and Suunto, as backup).
The two Uwatec "died" when battery was end of life.
The Petrel has always been working fine and so does the Suunto (even so I would prefer to have a second Petrel as backup).

So, no computer failure in 17 years of diving.

PS: ultimately your buddies dive computer is your backup if everything goes wrong.

Why is this question in the Tec diving forum? Don't Rec divers use computers? Or are you specifically referring to the higher-end computers that Tec divers prefer?

As for me, no failure of my Suunto in 200+ dives over a period of about seven years. No Tec diving involved, though.

Probably like most, none---in ?7 years....But, I do always carry & set a stop watch & know what the tables will(should) give me for a given dive.....

never happened..from an early model computer..Scubapro deco meter to a skinny dipper, 2 different dacor models,Sherwood wisdom , non ever failed on a dive.

I had an Atomic Cobalt I was using as a backup implode on me during a 35 minute dive at 200'...when I went to check it at 120' to see if it was calling for a deeper first stop than the Petrel as planned, I found the screen filled with milky looking water. Didn't sweat it, as I followed the Petrel on up, but I started making sure I had a third means of determining depth on bigger dives thereafter (already had a nice dive watch, marked SMB line, and written backup plans).

It was a good reminder of why one should not incur a deco obligation without redundant means of reaching the surface safely. That means gas, depth, time, schedule, vision, and buoyancy, not just the computer.

Why is this question in the Tec diving forum? Don't Rec divers use computers? Or are you specifically referring to the higher-end computers that Tec divers prefer?

I would guess it's here because unlike rec divers, tech divers can't just say 'Damn, computer died, guess I'll head straight on up now.'

The depth sensor on my original X1 went wacky and thought it was 800' down, but it was sitting on the dining room table at the time.

Reactions: Jax
2 in a year and half, bought a used one off SB and didn't check the hatch o-ring, flooded first dive. My fault, next one an AI and the pressure xducer went out, came back a few months later and then crapped out again. I now run 2 with a SPG backup

all of my technical diving has been with a rebreather.

In 1-1/2 years, I had 7 failures with hammerhead computers. Depth sensors, cracked cases, wacky electronics,

In 5 years with Shearwater, I have had one failure due to the depth sensor potting dissolving for some unknown reason.

It has happened to me multiple times, computer randomly turned off during dive, didn't activate before going to depth, screen reset itself and went to all gibberish. I've also had a computer forget what deco gases I've had programmed in.

In all cases, I've had backup computers and tables so I was able to continue the dive or at least end it without issues.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom