How many of you have had a dive computer fail?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No in-dive failures. One flood after I changed a battery and was careless.
Overall, the small, cheap wrist computers I lean towards are pretty robust.

My Dive Rite Duo went blank at depth about halfway through a dive. Good thing I have a bottom timer on the same wrist.

No tech diving but the OP asked for all info.

No computer failures for me. Oceanic computers.

I've had my Nitek 3 fail during several dives. The problem was corrosion on the contacts. I make sure to clean them prior to dives. I've had my UWATEC digital gauge timer fail to activate or go blank a couple of times during dives.

Apart from my Oceanic Veo eating batteries (once I was too lazy to replace the battery when it showed the first warning on turning on and the next day it would not turn on any more so I dived without backup), no failure in 3 years/200 dives

My Uwatec SmartCom Pro failed on me last summer while diving in a lake. The screen started to fade out during one dive, but I was still able to read depth and pressure. On the next dive it started fading out again, and eventually went totally blank. At that point I called the dive. The battery was replaced a few months prior, and I suspect that was contributing factor. Prior to this event, it was a great dive computer.

In over 3,000 dives since I got my first computer in 1991, I have had a few Uwatec computers fail during a dive. Most were because the battery had just failed without warning during a dive. A couple were total failures of the computers, Uwatec Aladin Air-X computers, a brilliant computer for the time but totally unreliable. In all cases, no great problem as I was relatively shallow and my buddy had one that enabled me to ascend to the right depth for a safety stop. On all decon dives for last 10 years, I have always had second computer a backup but have never needed to use it.

I've been doing tons of diving related reading and have got a question about PDC failure. I know and practice the "one is none, two is one" philosophy in other aspects of life and believe in redundancy and will be doing that more in diving as I delve into it more. I hear everyone saying/asking, what if your PDC failed? So my question is how many of you have had a dive comp failure while diving? I don't consider a dead battery or flooding due to an improperly reinstalled o-ring a failure for my purposes, just a genuine, non user induced equipment failure. Especially of tech computers.

ETA
If you have had a failure and don't mind, please elaborate.
If you haven't had one would you like DM Tom did say how long you've been using your comp and maybe the model, if you don't mind?

I've had or seen first hand multiple "failures" over the years. One of those involved a computer that was physically broken. There was a bit of loose solder inside the housing that caused it to crap out in the middle of a dive. The computer was new and it was replaced under warranty but ended the dive.

I've seen quite a few give faulty depth readings. This is a common and potentially dangerous failure mode that has to do with the pressure transducers either being blocked or not working as intended and giving faulty depth readings. Several that I have seen have caused the computer to remain in dive mode after a dive and one I can recall caused a faulty depth reading that was about 5 metres shallower than the actual depth. For this reason I have adopted the habit of occasionally checking my computer against my buddy's computer and/or wearing a bottom timer (because I happen to have one) as a 2nd reference when I'm not sure how deep the site is.

Finally, I've had seen .... I want to say about a dozen .... computers just stop for no apparent reason and turn themselves off under water. Years ago it was more common than it is now, but most recently I saw it on a computer that my OW student last weekend was using (a fairly modern Cressi). Usually this happens in colder water and every time I have seen it, including last weekend, the problem was a nearly dead battery that was further affected by the cold water. This kind of failure is "user" failure from not being alert to the low battery warning but usually presents only after you're in the water, which is a pain in the butt.

Let me see... oh yeah. One of my regular buddies has had .... I believe the count is now 4 or 5 VR3's. They look really cool and for the price of them you'd be forgiven for thinking they must be well made but they've had multiple software and hardware problems. He still dives with the last one they sent him but he's told me that when (in his mind, not if, but when) this one dies he'll replace it with another brand. He hasn't done that yet because it's still under warranty. Other people that I know who have had VR3s over the years have all replaced them already and for the same reason: they couldn't trust their lives to it. He's the only one I know who is still diving with one although he bought a Helo2 as a backup so he has at least one "reliable" computer. The point here being that not all computers are created equally and some are more prone to failure than others.

Overall, I would say that in my experience computers fail on a fairly regular basis but that most of the failures I've seen could have been avoided by proper user maintenance.

R..

So my question is how many of you have had a dive comp failure while diving? I don't consider a dead battery or flooding due to an improperly reinstalled o-ring a failure for my purposes, just a genuine, non user induced equipment failure. Especially of tech computers.
I have had two computers fail during technical / decompression dives - same model, different units. The first time, the screen failed. I had a back-up - actually two backups - plus I was using my deco tables anyway. The second time, a depth sensor (post-dive analysis) failed, and I was - all of a sudden - diving at 3204 feet, and making multiple, short dives to that depth - very entertaining.

ETA
If you have had a failure and don't mind, please elaborate.
If you haven't had one would you like DM Tom did say how long you've been using your comp and maybe the model, if you don't mind?[/QUOTE]

Two computer floods - both after I changed the battery.

DOH! :shocked2:

Both dives continued on tables.

I think if I ever do another live aboard, I'm gonna take two identical computers with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom