How many of you have had a dive computer fail?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't consider a dead battery to be a failure as long as it is user replaceable. However, when the battery is only manufacturer replaceable AND the manual states explicitly that even with 0% remaining battery life you can still dive it, but then it fails with 38% remaining battery life indicated, THAT is a failure... especially on a long deco dive. That happened to me. Ever since then I have dived with two computers on my wrist and only buy ones with user replaceable batteries.

No actual failures of any of my computers though.

I don't consider a dead battery to be a failure as long as it is user replaceable. However, when the battery is only manufacturer replaceable AND the manual states explicitly that even with 0% remaining battery life you can still dive it, but then it fails with 38% remaining battery life indicated, THAT is a failure... especially on a long deco dive. That happened to me. Ever since then I have dived with two computers on my wrist and only buy ones with user replaceable batteries.

No actual failures of any of my computers though.

SmartCom? That bit me too.

The "battery life" indicator is based on hours of operation, not actual remaining battery capacity, so if your computer has been stored in the heat or been sitting in the garage for a few years, it can easily drop dead with an "almost full" battery.

I had my Suunto Cobra quit displaying my depth during a dive. It wouldn't register that I was in the water. It still displayed my air pressure just fine. I think I had it about 2-3 years at the time and it was regularly serviced. Luckily it was on a pre-trip dive to check all my gear, and I have a back up. Took it to the LDS and Suunto replaced the depth sensor for free!

Had a Suunto Mosquito fail on me once. Reset itself mid-dive. It was working well, but of course the metrics were now all wrong after the reboot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a depth sensor go bad on me once with an old Suunto I used to own. The first clue was it was reading a depth of 165 feet in a dive park that doesn't get any deeper than about 40 feet. The second clue was that it continued the dive after I got out of the water. By the time I got home it was telling me I was still in 36 feet of water and had a pretty severe deco obligation ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can't even count the number of computers we've had fail . . . but aside from running a battery down on a Xen, I can't remember any of them failing during a dive. We've had pressure sensors go down, had a Suunto whose display went fragmented, had several Tech2Gs that stop responding to their buttons, and I had an X1 fry when I connected it for charging (and yes, I did it in the right order!).

I don't do much technical diving, but I've been comfortable relying on my buddy's computer as my backup.

Had an Atom 3.1 fail on me twice. The first time it put me into a dive on the drive back to the LDS. Then started displaying funky numbers on the screen. The second time it permanently lost contact with the transmitter half way through the dive, then put me into another dive on the drive to my apartment. The next day it was displaying odd digits again. At the time of both failures the computer had less than 50 dives.

Ar that point I said screw it and bought a Petrel. uploadfromtaptalk1397582983238.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

3 failures. Had a d9 fail at depth. Battery tested fine at surface then cramped out on dive, had cobalt fail, well not fail but spring a line leak bellow the quick disconnect. Had a lynx fail and stop agreeing that it was underwater at all. Had a couple other comps over the years with no issues. I always dive with a backup Spg and bottom timer now though, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had two computers fail during technical / decompression dives - same model, different units. The first time, the screen failed. I had a back-up - actually two backups - plus I was using my deco tables anyway. The second time, a depth sensor (post-dive analysis) failed, and I was - all of a sudden - diving at 3204 feet, and making multiple, short dives to that depth - very entertaining.

What make and model comp was it?

I've actually got a Predator, I plan to get a Petrel eventually, but will get a decent but cheap wrist wearable comp as a back up until I can afford a Petrel.

I have a predator and have no plans to replace it until it dies, which with Shearwater support may be a very, very long time.

---------- Post added April 15th, 2014 at 11:55 AM ----------

Wow, it's amazing how quickly one can forget the negative incidents... My cochran actually failed several times, and quite dramatically.

Came up from a dive on the Nanaimo wrecks, and during the surface interval the battery cap blew across the room! Battery was fizzing and everything. Sent it back, got it back repaired. Very next dive (same wrecks) the cap didn't blow off but started fizzing after the first dive. Opened it in a plastic bag to catch all the battery 'guck'. Sent it back again. Finally they found a micro-crack in the housing at the threads of the battery compartment. Charged quite a bit for a reconditioned unit as replacement.

My next wreck dives just happened to be with Lynn & Bruce, where they were testing the new Predator prior to releasing it. Needless to say the Cochran was sold and a Predator bought ASAP. I've never been happier with a computer than the Predator.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom