How many of you have had a dive computer fail?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not an error I can confirm personally, although I had one suspected issue and several guys at my old shop have seen and verified this issue:

Hollis DG03 will randomly forget all of your deco obligation upon switching gas mixes. It happened to a buddy once switching to EAN50 at 70ft, it happened to a few buddies at 20ft switching to O2. The computer just up and decided they were clear for ascent.

I'm on my 5th computer now, zero failures. Suunto Octopus (remember those?), Suunto Vyper, Suunto D3 (only ever in guage mode), Cochran and finally a Shearwater Predator. Bought an OMS bottom timer in 2003 and it's still around - just don't use it anymore.

I use the Shearwater on all my own dives, but always carry the D3 as backup. For teaching OW, I just use the D3.

Thanks for the replies so far guys and gals. I'm just trying to figure out the failure rate of dive comps.

Why is this question in the Tec diving forum? Don't Rec divers use computers? Or are you specifically referring to the higher-end computers that Tec divers prefer?

My intended diving path is to technical diving and I'm curious. I guess I could've elaborated more and added to the original question "and had to use your back up comp?" I'm interested in all, but especially the computers used in tec diving.

I think I've had five simply die.. gibberish on the screen, nothing would fix it, kinda die... None covered by warranty, except one of them. I log about 100 dives a year, and I seem to get about 3 years on average out of them. (I wear two of them, so perhaps that doubles the failures...

I bought a Shearwater Petral this year... their durability is becoming legendary, but I guess time will tell.

A few years ago, I had an Aladdin Pro die as well, but I drove over it with my Tahoe, and then a 5000# boat. Three direct hits. Crushed... :(

Thanks for the replies so far guys and gals. I'm just trying to figure out the failure rate of dive comps.

My intended diving path is to technical diving and I'm curious. I guess I could've elaborated more and added to the original question "and had to use your back up comp?" I'm interested in all, but especially the computers used in tec diving.

In that case, my advice is simple: buy a Shearwater Petrel.

They now make a nitrox version that can be unlocked to full anything (except if you later need the fischer connector).

There was a cover article in DIVER Magazine Volume 38 No 6 on Eric Fattah, founder of Liquivison, where he states:

Dive computers are one of the least reliable of consumer electronics with failure rates as high as 10 per cent or more.

The article didn’t elaborate on the data to back it up but it seems plausible to me. Low-production electronics and software, batteries, one atmosphere housings, and salt water are a terrible combination.

There was a cover article in DIVER Magazine Volume 38 No 6 on Eric Fattah, founder of Liquivison, where he states:

The article didn’t elaborate on the data to back it up but it seems plausible to me. Low-production electronics and software, batteries, one atmosphere housings, and salt water are a terrible combination.

Yet another reason to by Shearwater. They stand behind their product better than pretty much everyone.

I had a Sherwood Source fail during one of my first tech dives. The source didn't have gauge mode so I was ignoring the NDL and using the bottom time plus Deco Planner. During my first stop the Source gave me about ten minutes of deco. At thirty feet it gave me one hour of deco. At twenty feet it wanted several hours. I sent it back the next day.

1 unexpected failure and multiple "expected battery failures" in 25 years.

My very first dive computer was an early Sherwood/genisis/oceanic puck generic unit with non user replaceable battery. It went berserk (not a battery failure, but a pressure sensor failure). They up sold me to a user replaceable battery unit that lasted for 20 years. I sold it on eBay last year. Still fully functional, tested to over 200 feet. Solid performer. Worth every penny.

My expected battery failures occur in my "fleet" of uwatec aladins. Battery failure occurs randomly sometime after they get below about 50% battery level. Have had a handful of batteries run down and the unit went into endless beep mode. Expected, not a problem. I carry several on every dive just in case one decides to bite it underwater.

So I have a drawer full (don't ask how many, I have an eBay compulsive behavior issue that my dive buddy thinks needs some attention). Replacing batteries is very messy as they are soldered in and oil filled. But something I can do very cheaply.

i continue to use them since they are rock solid. Most are approaching 20 years and still going strong.

In that case, my advice is simple: buy a Shearwater Petrel.

They now make a nitrox version that can be unlocked to full anything (except if you later need the fischer connector).

I've actually got a Predator, I plan to get a Petrel eventually, but will get a decent but cheap wrist wearable comp as a back up until I can afford a Petrel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom