How much do you pay for servicing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich:
Sound like a "grey market" Uwatec. Scubapro/Uwatec charges this much when not purchased from an authorized dealer.
If I buy a scubapro computer new, skip a few annual services, do I now have a gray market computer?

I had a couple of questions with "what if's" regarding the Uwatec/Scubapro computers and to be honest I do not know what makes them charge grey market over normal service/battery change or their free battery for life program.

catherine96821:
Regulator, priced per stage, and parts. But I remember about 120. Mine is Scubapro and my guy tells me Atomic or Apex are more due to the kit costs...

if you are in the city, I am not surprised at all. Unless you have a really expensive reg, if you can get key man prices, in some cases it might be better to just get a new one at some point.

Hey Cath, slow down on those bloody Mary's, he was discussing a computer :D

Here is an inexpensive option for Reg servicing.

http://www.techdivinglimited.com/

TCP:
Suunto Nitrox.

I had the computer serviced, checked for integrity, primary reg (Arctic) and backup serviced. Nothing out of the ordiary.

I bought my equipment in '99 and the dive shop was fantastic. Every year, I was charged roughly $30. After a few years, a new manager took over (the original manager went to run a newly opened store) and the new manager clipped me for $100 for yearly servicing. When I voiced my concern, (he basically said "tough luck", "its a very involved process, blah, blah, blah...) So I went to the new location and worked with the previous owner. All was better until I had to move. I relocated out to the East Coast (job related) where I just had my equipment serviced. They clipped me for $160.

After the last few experiences, I was just wondering what others paid. I think what they charged is a bit of a rip off, to be honest.

Your last two service expenses total more than I paid for my Nitrox computer. If they are charging $160 for service, then time to get a computer that needs no servicing as that is just RE-DICK-U-LESS! :D

The Uwatec need to go back for a battery change, even the dealer can't do it.
The whole idea with the high charge for grey market is to get people to buy from an authorized dealer, then you get free batteries for life otherwise you will pay the differnce when you need a new battery.

I just paid $86 at Quiescence in Key Largo to hae one of my Conshelf SE3s done. First stage, 2 second stages, and gages. I thought that was fair.

Turn-around time was about two days.

cerich:
The Uwatec need to go back for a battery change, even the dealer can't do it.
The whole idea with the high charge for grey market is to get people to buy from an authorized dealer, then you get free batteries for life otherwise you will pay the differnce when you need a new battery.
That is why I bought an oceanic computer.

superstar:
If you buy the computer new, then sell it to me used, did I purchase a gray market computer?
no it is not grey market but there may be a problem with warrenty considering it is second hand"used".

TCP:
I just had my regs and dive computer serviced the other day and was charged over a $150.:11: Nothing out of the ordianry was done. (New battery for computer, replace O rings, ect, etc.)

In the past, I have paid as little as $30 to have it serviced. I was just curious what some others here pay for their yearly servicing. Maybe I am mistaken, but over $150 for yearly servicing seems excessive.
where in the city did you take it?

Back
Top Bottom