How much for PADI open water in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again for the quick responses, I think I will go with Island Divers on Phi Phi as I it's on the West coast and I can get Open Water course including everything for 10,320 Baht which seems pretty good for the island and it is a maximum of 4 in a group. I'm getting International Backpacker Discount Card that has quite a few dive centres in Thailand on there giving some good discounts, if anyone else wouldn't mind having a look on there to see if there are any other better dive centres that would be great. There are quite a few in Phuket, so maybe there would be better?

Hi kev,

Sees you made up your mind, kind of ignoring all the advice and recommendations given to you, just so that seemingly you can go with the cheapest option. Now obviously that's your free choice but please keep in mind that the cheapest option is not necessarily the best option. This board is also not about being cheap but giving you advice because there are plenty of very experienced divers and professionals 'on board' here. Their advice is most of the time well meant and honest and very worthwhile. I would heed it.
In order to find out where cheap prices can be found I would recommend other boards rather than this one, boards like Thorn Tree and the like.
Nonetheless, good luck with your courses and dives around Thailand, I hope you will find what you're looking for.

I would concur with the last post, also it is completely unnecesarry to pre book dive courses in Thailand, particularly if you chose to go with one of the high volume dive schools, you can simply turn up and generally start your course the following day.
Why pre book something that you may later find to be not your best option?

Island Divers has a good reputation, and it is very rare you can get a full open water course everything included for that price on Phi Phi. Go for it, you won't get it any cheaper, even stronger, on the spot will be a lot more expensive on Phi Phi.

You can also try Alvaro Diving (google it) at Koh Tao. Koh Tao is the cheapest place to get certs in whole Thailand. I did my OW with them and was very happy with the whole experience. Ko phagan courses will be a bit expensive because they will take you to Ko Tao anyway. For phi phi (which you already decided) have no idea but in general prices a bit pumped up in Thailand in my opinion.

There seems to be no cheaper price for 1 dive 1000b in Thailand and I think this is too much already. For a 3 dive trip you are asked around 3500b which is $120 and this is too much money for a day trip.

So a dive holiday could easly cost you around hundreds of dollars - just for dives.

No matter what diving is expensive!

Layzeboy, why don't you start a dive shop and experience first hand what the costs are for sending divers out diving, before you come with blanket statements like yours. Nobody is forcing you to dive. Some people actually can afford it.

Layzeboy, why not introduce yourself so we know where you're "coming from" with your posts? It looks to me like you're posting from Turkey, and AFAIK, diving at Kaş costs about the same price as you seem to think is too expensive in Thailand. Have you been doing any diving at all while you're in Turkey?

Last edited:
If you want to cut costs on the dive boat... well, here's your paddle.

Fuel prices are only going one way- diving isn't going to get cheaper IMO.

* I just did an XE conversion- Thailand isn't so cheap for the OW course anymore it seems- I think the Philippines is around $250-$275.

9,800.00 THB=309.539 USD
Thai Baht↔US Dollar

I appreciate what is being said here from both sides, and having never run or worked at a dive shop know little about what go's on behind the scenes.
But one thing that does mystify me somewhat is the fact that I can get cheaper diving in the UK than I can in Thailand, and would think UK operating expenses would be greater.

I appreciate what is being said here from both sides, and having never run or worked at a dive shop know little about what go's on behind the scenes.
But one thing that does mystify me somewhat is the fact that I can get cheaper diving in the UK than I can in Thailand, and would think UK operating expenses would be greater.
I've wondered about that too, each time you say so. I don't doubt your claim in the least, but as you say, side-by-side operational expenses would logically be higher in the UK. I can only presume that perhaps the dive staff are not paid (BSAC volunteer dive leaders, perhaps?), transfers are not provided (you get yourself to the boat dock), and there's no food on the boat (or cook to prepare it), you provide your own tanks and weights (or hire them separately), etc. Those savings could add up to quite a lot, I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom