How much has Scubaboard affected your gear choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I have read this site for hours and am currently suffering from severe gear info overload while in the process of putting together my first complete set of equipment.

So far I have only aquired a BC with tremendous influence from SB input. I can't completely make up my mind on regulator or computer. There's about a half dozen of each that I seem to be able to justify to myself at one time or another. The front runner this evening for regulator is the Atomic Z1, orisitthe Z2 now? Maybe I should wait for the Z3 or the Z16, which I understand will solve all the problems of all regulators ever made. There are just too damn many computers to make my mind up...

Some time in the next year or so, I think I will have a good idea what I need. Unfortunately, I have a trip booked to the Florida Keys in three weeks and need to be outfitted for that.

The info and intense debates on here are all great. This is such a lively and knowledgable community!

If it wasn't for ScubaBoard I would still be diving that cheap gear I bought from the White Elephant Sports Surplus.

This web site has cost me a fortune.

And your dive buddies have cost you another one :D

Boy do I love spending my friends money!!!

Well, unfortunately, I bought everything I own before I heard about Scubaboard. But the board is GOING to have cost me money, I'm afraid, before long.

Probably 90% of my gear choices have at least been influenced by SB. My primary 2nd stage I bought because of a review elsewhere, but confirmed my decision after reading every post on SB where it was mentioned (all of 17 posts lol)

Found my wetsuit at Triple-l because of SB

Introduced to Rite-in-the Rain's "cheap" alternative to wetnotes

Jetfins were largly due to SB

The features my computer should have.

and of course...

my BP/Wing rig with long hose :D none of which I had even heard of before coming to Scubaboard.

Aloha, Tim

Were it not for ScubaBoard I would not have "met" Tobin George ... and Deep Sea Supply would not be one of my preferred gear choices.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

SB definitely made positive influences on gear choice. Before buying any piece of gear the "search" button came in very handy!

Not to mention SB was my indirect link to Scubatoys and the 10% discount which probably allowed me to save enough money to buy even more gear!

Well, the biggest one: I wouldn't have ever heard of Triple-L if not for SB. I'd probably still be saving up (unsiccessfully, in all likelihood) for a new BCD.

I wouldn't have been able to do my homeowrk on regs if not for SB. My USD setup is the result.

I'm sure my selection of fins probably would have been different without reading SB.

Basically: without SB I'd probably still be diving all used Dacor gear, or really overpriced new stuff, or stuff from LeisurePro. :D

To put it another way, SB opened my eyes to a considerably wider variety of places to buy gear (Scubatoys, eBay, even the debatable places like LeisurePro which do have their place), a lot of lesser known manufacturers, and ways to get good gear for cheap so a po' boy like me can go diving like the big boys. SB is in many ways the kind of buyer's guide Scuba Diving* wants to be but isn't really and can't hope to be. So thanks, guys**!

cheers

Billy S.

* I still can't get over my urge to call it Rodale's no matter how I try.

** "Guys" is used here in the broadest, non-gender-specific sense, so as to include all the nice female members of the forum, but you knew that already didn't you?

I bought my mask, snorkel and wetsuit on my first dive trip, after that I registered here to ask for gear advice and since then what I've read here has either directly or indirectly influenced all my gear purchase decisions.

Before I buy anything now I do a search here for the brands and models I'm considering, and previous to even considering a brand I try to find out what the experienced divers are using, and what they think is crap. I'm deeply thankful for scubaboard.

I've also learned about many of the scuba gear suppliers and special deals from this site that I've consequently taken advantage of.

kidspot:
Introduced to Rite-in-the Rain's "cheap" alternative to wetnotes

Jetfins were largly due to SB

Aloha, Tim

Yes! I forgot - my next 100% SB purchase will be Rite-in-Rain paper. Any good sources for a good deal btw? My log book is taking it's last breaths, and I am ready to order. Found a couple of places but maybe there is some I've overlooked since the search only produced very few...

And Tim, did you notice I did trick my cats to the JetFins? (See gallery) I missed the best shot when the skinny one (not obvious in pic but grey tiger is under 10 pounder) tried desperately lift the fin with his head in the foot pocket. I think he realized it was too negatively buoyant for him.

Back
Top Bottom