How much has Scubaboard affected your gear choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought my Suunto Vyper after checking out SB. I'm happy with it now that I figured out how to download!

JE

SB has almost completely influenced all my purchases.

Regulators, computer, and other small stuff purchased from Scubatoys and other dealers recommended by others after researching on SB.

I knew very little about scuba gear before I found SB. There is a lot of brand loyalty among some here, and brand hatred as well. If you look at the information, research the posts, and filter out some of the bs that is included, there is a wealth of information on the board. Lots of experienced divers that have tried almost every type of equipment available, and most will give you a honest opinion of their experiences with that equipment. A lot of it comes down to personal preference. But when you live in a small town like I do, and have only 1 small LDS that carries only Scubapro stuff and pushes it hard, this is the only place to ask questions and get honest answers about other brands. Without ScubaBoard, I would not have my beloved Apeks ATX200 reg, my DSS BP/W (which I can't imagine diving without), my Bare 7mm SGS wetsuit from DiveTank, the VersaPro computer I bought from ScubaToys, or a long list of small stuff that I got from information gathered here as well. Oh, and I would not be going to Valhalla in November with Surface Interval Scuba without SB either!

Scubaboard definately helped me bigtime! After sorting through the BS I found a TON of super usefull info that has influenced the way I dive today. Here's my shortlist:

1.Right after OW-AOW went through the BP/W wars and hooked up with FREDT on the board. I now own 2 backplates, 9# stainless steel and an Aluminum. Other assorted FredT gear.
2. Oxycheq wing from COVCI
3. Apeks Regs and I now service my own
4. Jet Fins and FredT spring straps
5. Suunto Vyper
6. Bare HD Tech drysuit from Divetank.com
7. Built my own Suunto downloader cable from Jamei on board
8. Olympus C5050 camera rig per board users recommendations

ScubaBoard influenced me heavily. I researched back inflate BC's here because I just did'nt like the fit of the vest. In the process I found ScubaToys! :D

John

While I have picked up so very good information about a lot of different gear on SB it has had no direct influence on any of the gear that I have bought or dive with. Oh well, I guess there's on bad apple in every barrel. :D

I have to give credit to my local dive shop. I have learned so much from them. But I also picked up a lot of the industry rumor and idiotic banter there as well. So I seek out the info I'm looking for, whether local or internet then make a decision from there.
Knowledge is power.

I feel guilty when I use my snorkel while diving in the ocean.

dlndavid:
I feel guilty when I use my snorkel while diving in the ocean.

heh, that would be the other good thread - what has SB made you feel guilty about buying/using

I am startimg to get there - that I feel the need to explain before someone throws it at me, snorkel is a great example. (Not so much that that I should dive as you tell me but to avoid the dull repetative songs). Them reviews on scuba mags don't talk back (and back and back) but it can happen here :wink:

Great thread!
Scubaboard has influeneced all of my diving since I joined. I have met new friends, soem great buddies, dived locations I never knew about and of course the topic of this thread- gear.
I had my own set of gear prior to joining the board. Since then SB has been the leader for information. I never heard of a BP/W before, much less a back inflate BC. I now own a BP/W, threw the dang snorkel away, got jet fins (love em!), and streamlined my kit. Now I need a new perscription mask. Yes, I will do a search. :D

Scubaboard helped me to settle on buying the Zeagle Brigade, by virtue of Scott and Larry's participation here. I knew I could get quick technical support on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom