How much to get started?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where in BC are you located, and how much diving do you plan to do?

As for buying a computer: forget about it for now, not required equipment nor is it necessary.

And if you have a good shop nearby, you should be able to find some dive buddies or even the shop/instructional staff who might help you evaluate the used gear that you find online.

$1000 will not likely get you diving in cold water without having to rent something, but it depends on your tolerance (and luck) with used gear. I can find a drysuit, regs, and BC for under $500 OBO on usedvictoria. What service do they need, how long will they last, are they worth it? I dunno. That lack of insurance is the cost of buying used and online.

Good luck,
VI

...that's quite an assumption you're making there......the VAST majority of rental regs are very low-end (cheapo) low performance units.......very well used (and abused)...and I've lost track of the number of posts/reports I've read here on Scubaboard as well as elsewhere over the years about rental gear horror stories!

I can sympathize with 'budget' challenges, and if ya gotta rent for a while, ya gotta do what ya gotta do I guess, but get away from rental gear as soon as $ permits.

I agree that just renting willy-nilly might end up poorly. I am lucky in that I know I can trust the few places I will be renting from until I can purchase my own regulator setup, which will be the last thing I purchase, but is only a few months away. I suppose I should have added the caveat that you should assure you trust the operation you rent from; I don't think I would be as cavalier about it if I were constantly renting from random operations here and there without getting to know them first.

In the end though, you can only afford what you can afford. Although its a battle between saving up for gear and not diving now, or renting now, blowing money you could have used to invest in gear, and getting to dive more often.

A good used regulator setup from a friend, 100 bucks maybe, fins, snorkel and a mask, another 50 bucks. Lessons from the local dive shop or while on vacation in the carribean, maybe 300 bucks.
That is close to rock bottom to get starter and of course you will have to rent a BC, tank etc. for maybe 80/day of diving but hey, it gets you in the water and gets you started. The bling can all come later.

I seriously recommend getting as much used as you can, there a ton of people who get the bug, then spend a ton of money on equipment and then never use it and eventually sell it.

I got a tank, plus complete regulator and console set with computer and a bcd for less than 200 bucks, and it works fine.

Make sure you get safety relevant items (regs, tank) inspected by a shop before you use it.

A new basic BCD is about 140$ on leisurepro, a used one can usually be found for 50$, if you respond to ads and make lowball offers.

good luck!

Mask- scubapro clear vue4 was $45
Fins- scubapro bought used in great condition at dive shop $20
Booties- $15
Weights- $3.50 a pound
Wetsuit- 0.5mil scubapro $100
Wetsuit- 3mil scubapro shorty $100
BC- scubapro pilot $350

I dont own a computer or a reg set because you can rent them anywhere and comfort is not an issue.

thanks! really put things into perspective. craigslist seems to be the best tool to use

thanks! craiglist seems like the best option

Used stuff can be great, just shop carefully. And if you do buy a regulator, make sure it's rated for cold water. Don't buy someone's warm water vacation reg off Craigslist... and since you are in BC and therefore may end up in a drysuit someday, don't buy any aluminum cylinders unless it's a crazy deal. When you go dry you will want to dive steel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom