How Much to Get Tech Cert'd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel remiss for not actually answering the OP's question.

I don't know my total costs, but it's a lot. So far I have spent money for OW, AOW, Nitrox, AdvNitrox, deco, and cavern training. I still need to get my Adv wreck class done. I also puchased my initial jacket BC, regs and computer along with 2 AL80s. Then I bought a backplate and a singles wing, then a SP M25 w/ S550 regs with longhose and bungie. Then I bought 2 more AL80s and a wrist computer. About this time I bought a DUI drysuit and thermals. Then I bought an AL20 pony and another reg. Then I bought a set of double AL80's which meant a doubles wing (halcyon 55) and another M25 reg. Then I bought an AL40 deco tank, a sling kit, and another reg for it. Then I bought another set double AL80s and finally a set of HP100 doubles. Somewhere in there I picked up a Salvo 10W HID can-light and 2 more blackplates and harnesses. I'm about to buy a new doubles wing because that H55 is overkill. I just bought another wrist mount computer because my old one is starting to act up. I also had to buy new fins.

Oh, and I also bought an Amphibico UW video housing, with camera to replace my old Sea&Sea 35mm camera since film is hard to find, very limiting and harder to get processed in these modern times.

I will leave it up to anyone who has the inclination to total up what all that costs, but that doesn't include the training and gear for my 2 kids who dive with me too! :shocked2:

Of course, none of this includes the costs of my actual dives. It is a minimum 4 hour drive each way with either camping or hotel costs for a weekend of dives. Last week it cost me about $150 in fuel, $25 in toll roads and $75 in campsite fees. My only benefit is that I don't pay for air.

Posted this in another thread. I added up the investment of gear I dive with on every cave dive. I enter the water with about $25,000 in dive gear alone. Add to the cost of a dedicated dive vehicle. 3/4 ton Dodge Van. $$$$$$$$$$
Oh, and that's open circuit sidemount and a wet suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Used RB: ~$5,500 after shipping, new cells, tweaks to configuration, etc.
New DPV: $6,700
Massive herd of tanks, about a dozen Atomic regs, omniswivel fittings, hoses, SPGs, rigging, etc.: ~$6,000
Drysuit and inflation system for suit/wing: ~$2,000
Misc. electronics, reels, lights (incl. 400' and 800' pathfinders, 2 PTs, 1 H scout, 1 LM 3W, LM-rebuilt 21W HID, SA Petrel, : ~$2,650
Couple of H BPs/6 H Wings: ~$1,000

This leaves out plenty of gear, but my rough total of technical gear I either use or keep around because I'm likely to use it again is around $24,000. I've spent a lot more than that on gear in the last 3-4 years, but I tend to buy used, and sell at or close to what I paid, so it's enough of a wash I don't care too much.

I want a brand new rEvo Expedition micro Ti with a NERD controller and online Petrel backup, and that'll add at least $10,000 to my gear total after selling my current RB. Getting a bigger scooter nose/battery is another $4,000. Couple grand for a 50W HID is somewhere in my future, as are several more grand for a Haskel.

Total training costs to-date (rec and tech/CCR) are in the range of $5,000. My finally getting around to formal MOD-2/3 training will probably add another $3-4k to that.

In contrast, I once blew $45k in a little over two months betting the wrong way as to whether financial stocks were going to correct. SCUBA's not that expensive, and it's a lot more fun.

Last edited:
Here's what you spend as a traveling tech diver after you get certified:

Typical tech/wreck charter that someone like myself interested in historical WWII Indo-Pacific wrecks:
http://www.asiadivers.com/tech/image...s_MoreInfo.pdf

Gas costs for a week or more tech diving the wrecks of Truk Lagoon:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/att...7&d=1366162580

Truk Stop dive-ops 2012, Standard Gas Bottom Mix estimates for one set of double 11L (twinset AL 80's):
21/35 $205
18/45 $260
15/55 $310

Last year's Bikini Atoll Liveaboard (M/V Windward) open circuit gas costs for 17 dives over eight days including crew gratuity: $3.8k. (Helium $5.66/cuft, Oxygen $1.70/cuft). Excess baggage total fees charged by United Airlines (each way -each flight leg!): $1.2k. My X-scooter itself cost $400 as check-in luggage

I work in SoCal Aerospace Industry, 9 to 12 hours a day, sometimes all seven days of the week for nearly a month straight. If all goes well and units delivered on time, I take the rest of the Quarter off and blow all my earnings in Overtime on tropical Scuba Expeditions like those above.
icosm14.gif

I never knew it cost so much to dive in Truk.

Oh wait...
. . .And Bikini Atoll; and Sunda Strait Indonesia; and South China Sea: and east coast Sri Lanka. . . all "hero" WWII wreck dive expeditions above & beyond your means & comprehension AJ.

. . .And Bikini Atoll; and Sunda Strait Indonesia; and South China Sea: and east coast Sri Lanka. . . all shallow, relatively benign WWII wreck dive catered trips above & beyond your means & comprehension AJ.

Fixed that for ya. There's a difference between a trip that's expensive and one that's particularly challenging to one's skill set in addition to one's bank account. Either one of us could apparently afford the $50-75k to have a bunch of sherpas drag our arse up Everest -- neither one of us would be in a position to brag about our expedition climbing as a result, though.

Then again, Truk is apparently about all you can handle before forgetting how to execute an ascent without bending yourself. Maybe it is a "hero" dive for you.

Last edited:
After tallying up all your tech gear, you end up with 2 distinct figures.

1. First figure reflects the actual cost. $$$$$$

2. Second Figure is the amount you tell your Wife or Girlfriend. $$$

Yes, and be sure you put a note in your will to not let your wife sell your gear for what your SAID you paid for it! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom