How much wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My last cozumel trip one of the divers dove with a dry suit.
have also seen dry suits in Bonaire.
everyone is different.

I always wear a full suit for protection against jellies, etc. No shorties for me, ever.

Plus what boulderjohn said

I had a 20 minute deco at 6M last week, water temp was 27C and there were stingers everywhere, without full protection plus hood that would have been a nightmare.

As they say different horses for different courses, temperatures are all relative, it is interesting though how quickly divers acclimatise to conditions where they dive frequently, and no longer feel that their current exposure protection is sufficient compared to what they were using a year or so ago.

I wear a 3/2 during the summer months, when im diving in the Gulf, or more likely diving aluminum tanks. Last winter I dove temps as low as 45 with a 5mm suit with thick hood/gloves. They were relatively short dives, but not uncomfortable. I've got a 7/6 semidry I will be using this winter...should be plenty warm enough to extend my bottom time in January and February.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hello SPthomas,

I agree with BoulderJohn. We are all different. Also, depending on the circumstance, I have been comfortable in a 5 mil custom wetsuit with hood and gloves (54F water). The day before, I needed the 5 mil jumpsuit, my 5 mil spring suit, and the hood/gloves.

It all depends on how warm I get during SI and how much good chow the dive boat served up. When I am on Peace, Specter, or a Truth boat, I eat well and don't need as much insulation. Also, I am protected from the elements because they have spacious salons. On a small boat like Double Down or Beach Hopper, I am not protected from the elements as well--on those days, I need all 10 mils that my jumpsuit and spring suit combined can give me.

As a general rule of thumb:
1) 5 mil Jump suit and 5 mil spring suit for a total of 10 mils around my body core, with water between 50F and 65F.
2) 5 mils for 65F to 75F (or my 4/3).
3) 4/3 mil jumpsuit, or spring suit for 75F to 80F.
5) 1/2 mil jumpsuit for anything above 80F.

Sometimes, I will take two wetsuits for water warmer than 65F. A warm and dry wetsuit is easier to don on that second or third dive. Stripping down to a speedo and wearing a stadium/dive jacket helps as the SI becomes a very comfortable experience--especially when you have a dry wetsuit to put on for the next dive.

markm

PS: I will never buy an "off-the-rack" wetsuit again. My custom wetsuit combo is worth every penny I paid.

Last edited:
markmud makes a good point about the opportunity to warm up between dives. When the water in, say, Cozumel is 79-80F but the weather is cloudy and drizzly, some people with low tolerance for cold get chilled between dives. That's when I either put on a vest under the 3 mm or bring out the 5 mm.

On my two dives today, I wore a skin, 32C / 89F at the bottom 28M, two guys on the boat were in drysuits :shocked2: :confused:

On my two dives today, I wore a skin, 32C / 89F at the bottom 28M, two guys on the boat were in drysuits :shocked2: :confused:

There are tropical dry suits these days, although I have never worn one and cannot comment on their nature.

I have a 2mm shorty available for temps in the mid 80's, I normally go with 3/2 for my S. Florida diving which keeps me comfortable between the low 70's to low 80's. I've been wearing 5mm with 5mm gloves in RI where the temps run mid-60's to 70. Tomorrow I am throwing on a 7/5 hooded vest for extra warmth to dive the North Shore in MA where I expect temps to be mid-50's. I haven't really tried this yet so, don't know if it will meet my comfort needs, but I expect it to.

Update, Saturday I dove a quarry that is very shallow; with the water down 10' due to the drought, max depth was 22'. So it was 80° on bottom. I dove first with my normal 3/2 fullsuit, and it was hot. So I dove the second dive in trunks and that, and it was perfect. So the 72°at depth in my normal quarry seemed cold if I just dipped below the thermocline, but it may be tolerable in my 3/2 if I just stay there a few minutes.

has anyone have any experience with "lavacore" or similiar garments worn over say, a 3/2 wetsuit? Wondering if the two layers are as warm as one, thicker layer. I've never worn a 4/3 wetsuit but have tried them on and I didn't like how inflexible most of them are.

Back
Top Bottom