How much wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

has anyone have any experience with "lavacore" or similiar garments worn over say, a 3/2 wetsuit? Wondering if the two layers are as warm as one, thicker layer. I've never worn a 4/3 wetsuit but have tried them on and I didn't like how inflexible most of them are.

See my mention of Lavacore in post #9 above. Lavacore is comfortable material and probably equivalent in warmth to something like 1.5 mm of neoprene. For diving in 72 F springs, I know I got chilled after an hour with the Lavacore vest underneath a 5/4 mm suit, so I switched out the Lavacore vest for a 3 mm neoprene vest. There is no free lunch: the Lavacore material may be comfortable, but it is not as warm as neoprene. As I mentioned in the post above, I might still use the old Lavacore vest underneath my 3/2 when temps are just a hair below what I consider pleasant for a long day of tropical diving.

This is not an easy question to answer. 30 tears ago it would be easy. There was one technology and that was it. So then, thickness was the only real variable. Now you have such things like seals and other things. I splerged and got a Harvey's suit with wrist and leg seals. I cook in it. unless i am in the 60's water, the 3mm farmer john is too much. old style suits it would be probably a 6mm or better and 10 on the core. I asked when i bought it about its equvilancy thermal protection. What i got was that a 3mm is about the same as a standard 5-7mm suit. The suit does not keep you warm, it stops heat loss, sounds like double talk but, with the seals, you have no water circulating and hence no heat being flushed out. The less suit the better. Less suit compression, and thus less weighting issues. Another thing you can try is a lavacore. Its a wonderful technology. 0 weighting issues. Each technology has its costs. And remember you just cant pick a suit and disregard whe is needed by the rest of your gear. Ie you just cant change from a wet suit to a lavacore. you will sink like a rock untill you comp for it. I tried my lavacore with a bp/w and a lp120 on and i could barely stay on the surface ansd had roll problems till i changed to a lighter plate and even that did not help much. lavacore with al tanks in fresh water ok steel tanks in salt water ok, but normally you need some lift from your suit to comp for the gear weight in fresh water, and provide for a bubble above you to keep you belly down. No wing lift ... no leverage to keep tank on top.

the lavacore goes UNDER the wetsuit ? that seems like a huge pain

the lavacore goes UNDER the wetsuit ? that seems like a huge pain

Not at all. My full lavacore is basically a skin with a fleece lining. The few times I've layered it with a 3/2 it made donning & doffing the wet suit easier.

edit to add: I usually use only the full lavacore in 80F and upwards waters. Then if I get chilled on multi-day multi-dive trips I typically switch to the 3/2 without the lavacore, when I have layered it was almost hot. Too much a couple of times. I don't use shorties, like the protection from suspended stingers a full coverage provides.
If too cool for the 3/2 I usually go straight to a 5 but the last couple of times I went dry suit with T-shirt and board shorts

I currently have a 3mm full suit for spring diving (69-74 degrees). Planning on getting a 5mm suit soon so I can stay in the water longer/on repetitive dives. After about 2 hours in the water (over the course of the day) I get kinda chilled.

Back
Top Bottom