How much will a BC self inflate in checked luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coming from Denver (5280') to sea level it is certainly necessary to make sure your storage boxes are unlatched, they are tough to open when you take them to sea level. Not so much when you come home.

I have never had any problems with my BC expanding enough to make any difference. But then I haven't ever put a sandwich in with my slightly damp dive gear.

According to Air Suisse [h=1]Different Air Pressure in the Cabin[/h]As a flight climbs after takeoff, the air pressure in the cabin decreases. As a result, the cabin air expands by about 30%. When the flight descends to land, the volume of the air contracts again. These changes will not normally cause any problems, as long as the gases involved – such as the air in your lungs – can move about freely. They can, however, cause discomfort or even pain if the gas is enclosed and the different pressures thus cannot be equalised.

Technically the volume of air in the plane is a constant since the plane is a basically a rigid object (although it is flexible). As the plane rises some of that air is allowed to leave the plane to reduce the inside/outside pressure differential. An expandable enclosed air space (bcd, plastic bag) will increase its air volume by up to 30% the exact ammount determined by how much resistance the container can exert.

Just wondered. One time I had a deflated football in a carry on bag and it inflated itself and squashed my sandwich. That was in the cabin so I figure the unpressurized cargo hold must be worse.

Hint: Do not pack a sandwich in your BC.

Ok. 30% is not a big deal. I thought the cargo area was open to ambient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom