How rough is the Ni'ihau crossing? Comparison to Morehead City runs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tabbykatt3

Supporting Member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How rough is the Ni'ihau crossing? Comparison to Morehead City runs?
I've been told the crossing from Kauai to Ni'ihau and back is rough, but how rough is rough? The roughest I've encountered is the runs out of Morehead City, North Carolina. Anyone have any experience on how the Ni'ihau crossing compares to Morehead City? Anyone have any other advice and insights regarding the Ni'ihau crossing? Thanks.

I didn't think it was that bad (maybe 2-4ft swells) when I did it about 5 years ago. Granted it was in July and on a big catamaran. It does get rough during the "winter" months, that's why trips are only offered in the spring/summer.

Matt

It can often be as rough or rougher than Morehead City, especially in winter as previously mentioned. It is also rough during summertime south swells.

The main issue, though, is that no one in Kauai (when last I was there) operates boats the size of the best boats that take on the Morehead City conditions. Sure there are some six packs and boats of less than 35 feet in length in Morehead, but, usually it is the 45ft vessels and greater that take on the rougher days there. And, it's not only the vessels size but it's design that enables it to take on the 2 1/2 to 3 hour runs through 5 to 8 foot seas. Most of the dive boats in Morehead are former crew boats which are better designed and equipped for those rough seas. Most of the boats in Kauai are open dive vessels with less draft and less stability in higher seas.

The dive operators are very good at making the right go-no go call based on the conditions. When they choose to go you may not always get a flat calm day but you can be sure that if you have handled the conditions in Morehead when Captains there chose to go you will be fine going to Ni' ihau.

The dives are worth the crossing!! In fact, I scheduled the trip twice in a week's stay to make sure we'd get to go out as I had read it gets cancelled on occasion. Other then a sore behind, no other side effects (thanks to my motion sickness meds).

Beautiful topography, encounters with endangered Hawaiian Monkseals, bandit angelfish, whiskered boarfish, longnose hawkfish, endemic nudis.... Enjoy!!!!

I grew up just 20 minutes from Morehead City. Just as conditions there vary from flat calm to "not do-able"...so do the conditions on the crossing to Ni'ihau. If the captain/dive shop decides to run the trip, it will be considered safe...but that, in no way, means calm. When I went, the ride back was rough but "fun"....8 foot swell coming from the side, topped with wind waves from what seemed liked a couple of directions. One customer on the boat was worried...my husband had hoped for rougher...the rest of us found it very tolerable.

We went with Sea Sport Divers and had a really great day!

Bottom line...this trip is for experienced divers who expect a rough ride home.

Have fun!

Thank you all for your timely feedback and insight.

Bottom line it seems if I was OK with Morehead City at rough conditions levels I would be OK for Ni'ihau.

Thanks.

Kurt

Just did the Niihau crossing this week w/Fathom Five...w/no swells and very light winds, the crossing was actually pretty easy both ways. The boat is a smaller boat so if conditions are not as ideal as they were this week, it would definitely be rougher but the upside to the smaller boat is less people/not as crowded so you should get a much more personalized tour.

Sounds like you are up for it, regardless of conditions. And Bugbagger is right - the operators are very good at canceling the dive if conditions are unsafe.

If you are an avid, experienced diver (it is a long day trip), I highly recommend doing the Niihau trip!

I with Fathom Five for my AOW (and a couple of other dives) in March and LOVED it.

I hope to be able to return to Kauai next year and will book their Ni'aihau trip. Aascubagirl: Who was your DM on that trip?

Ni'ihau was the best diving I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I can't wait to do it again...

Have fun!

Aloha Fisheater. Actually, the DM was George, the owner of Fathom. I had an awesome time :O) I work for another dive shop in Poipu down the road from George's but our company just does shore diving so this was my first outing to Niihau w/them. Even though I dive regularly as an instructor, I was TIRED at the end of the day but it was well worth it. Have fun when you go!

Back
Top Bottom