How to carry SMB, so that it can be re-stowed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the thigh pocket. I have not deployed while in the water for a while but when I did it was not much of a problem. If getting it stowed neatly is a problem you can always clip it off to a chest or waist d-ring and deal with cleaning it up on the boat.

Easy to access and replace. I originally had issue getting it back on the d-ring but that went away with some practice. Still looking to get one of the butterfly d-rings from DSS.

dring.jpg

Your
Easy to access and replace. I originally had issue getting it back on the d-ring but that went away with some practice. Still looking to get one of the butterfly d-rings from DSS.

View attachment 381681
You're going to kill yourself in an overhead environment :wink:

Once I see the dive boat heading my way, I like to deflate, roll and stow my SMB. I put it back in my right thigh/BCD pocket. I have helped people recover dropped spools when they attach it to a D-ring. No chance of it falling out of my pocket accidently.

We have ours clipped and bungeed to the backplate. Easy to reach back and deploy (for my flexible shoulders, at least) and easy enough to stow. Worst case I can ask my buddy to help with the stowage, but this kept us nicely streamlined and compact, no dangly bits, which was nice for the currents / drift dives. It's a pretty large DSMB, the spool is attached and in the bag in this case. Tried the butt D-ring, but that just felt uncomfortable and annoying both in and out of the water.

Floating in the garden by Mattia Valente, on Flickr

If i had to re stow in my drysuit it goes in my thigh pocket.
if in my wet suit then back to where it came. DIR Zone Harness Pocket
this goes on my wing webbing and i use it to wrap my primary hose round.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom