How to find a good dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEPLOU:
As for paying for it, I worked a "real" job for 30 years and was able to retire, now I work PT in a dive shop. It works like this.
Friday I get paid, and Saturday I pay the dive boat captain.

Lol ... I have a sneaky suspicion that I'll be working out a similar deal with my LDS.

My girlfriend and I are going to hit the LDS's in our area tomorrow. It sounds like there are actually quite a few good ones in our area which is encouraging.

Dive shops are in a difficult spot.

Most have historically made their money as exclusive distributors of gear, and now that is widely available at a lower price through the internet. However, the internet can't easily sell training, air or help you manage your development as a diver.

However, the gear choices are bewildering, and most people end up with gear they really didn't want. This is where a responsible dive shop, that is interested in having a long term relationship, will offer sound advice, "rent to buy" and other incentives to make you want to pay them a higher price in exchange for added value.

Shops also tend to specialize in some dimension of diving, so discuss that with them as well and see where your mutual interests are.

The next bit is controversial - I'm sure you'll hear different opinions than mine, but we're all entitled to one...

Be a little sensitive to their situation - coming in, spending several hours getting educated, and then buying everything online is not your route to a long term relationship with a trusted advisor.

Back
Top Bottom