how to stay dry in a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chad-purdy

Reaction score
i just had my drysuit training yesterday and when i got out my arms where wet has theis happened to anyone before and might no how to fix it. i have tuck under seals my neck didnt leak just my wrist seals.

yes this is normal. Do you have wrists that the tendons make valleys when you move?
I found that I need very small wrist seals, but to my fix I use dry gloves. now for my neck I have the same problem, so I wear a t shirt over my undies to soak up the small amount of water that gets threw.

Chad, what kind of dry suit do you have?
I too have tuck under seals, sometimes if I don't tuck them far enough in they will leak.

I haven't had any problems with DUI seals. The only "wetness" is from condensation. I did cut the seal smaller than the recommendation. For example, my neck is 14", but I cut at the line that was at 13 7/8.

Captain CaveMan:
yes this is normal. Do you have wrists that the tendons make valleys when you move?
I found that I need very small wrist seals, but to my fix I use dry gloves. now for my neck I have the same problem, so I wear a t shirt over my undies to soak up the small amount of water that gets threw.
Yea, I had the same problem with my wrists too. I just make sure the seals are an inch or two above the actual wrist and where the "valleys" aren't too deep.

Good luck!
Jason

I have neoprrene wrist seals and I wear a watch on one wrist and my computer on the other wrist thereby sealing the 'seals'.........if you know what I mean:wink:

Ive used a DUI drysuit before and yeah, I had that problem. One thing is that your tendons might be making issues (mine did) and that you might also not have donned properly. However, theres another thing Id like to ask. Was it your own, new suit? Or was it a suit you borrowed?
I got a new BARE CD4 ProDry a few weeks ago (the DUI suit I had was borrowed) and it was as dry as sahara :)
I suspect that part of the reason was that a used suit probably get somewhat stretched to fit the one thats been using it for a while?

The suit comes with a manual tho, where all the obvious things are described, like how to don and doff and to remember to close the zipper :p reading that manual can also help you out a bit..

i have a new abyss explorer. yesterday was the first day it was ever worn

chad-purdy:
i have a new abyss explorer. yesterday was the first day it was ever worn
Then Id try reading the manual thoroughly first.. My guess would be it says to fold in the neck seal and the wrist seals 1-2".
Also, if youre like me and have rather stringy tendons in the wrist, you may want to try to pull the wrist seals up the forearm a bit.
Also, when I dive with a drysuit, I try not to bend my palms inwards too much and particularilly not hold them there, since if i do that my tendons make room for water to get in.

cool thanks alot and yeah i do have large boney tendents in my wrist that creats vallys but thanks for the info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom