How useful is a compass and how much is it really used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought all the Rola's in Saudi had sat nav and a chauffeur. Good viz, bad viz, washing machine, piers, rocks, ripples, other geographical features and you'd bet the ranch or oil rig on which way you're facing, check the compass, no way. Yes Way. Start off by setting it for home then don't touch it. Read manuals and learn. I'd leave home without my Amex.

Diving without one is inconceivable.

You can go a ways on on natural features but they are not foolproof.

Following and not knowing where you are going is not an option with a DM, buddy or otherwise.

I hardly ever used a compass before I bought one. Now I use it on just about every ocean dive.

I dive with a wrist computer and an old console that inlcudes a compass. I find that I use the compass on most dives whether shore entry dive in poor vis FW lake or DM-led clear water ocean dive. However, I'm looking to replace my bulky console with simple SPG and either a wrist mounted or a Suunto SK7 with retractor clipped to my BCD. Any recommendations out there for the SK7 ?? I know there's a anti-retractor bias from many on the board.

The SK-7 is a fantastic compass, in no small part because it's quite tolerant of tilt. The only thing I'll say about them is that we have now had 3 lose their suspending fluid over time -- but for all I know, it's because of some microtrauma I do to them when I take them out of the mounting and put them in Tobin's boot. The fluid loss has occurred a year or more later, though.

Putting the compass on a retractor allows you to pull it out in front of you and hold it very precisely flat and centered. Putting it on your wrist allows you to look at it easily and whenever, but it can be harder to be really precise. I've never yet done a dive where it made that much difference, and I like my gauges on my wrists.

Thanks, TS & M. Though shouldn't they last longer than a few years? My compass is ~ 20 years old and still works great. However, I suspect yours gets more use.

Lynn-
If you're only getting a year out of your compasses, something is wrong.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom