How useful is a compass and how much is it really used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a compass on every dive! Not counting dives I've done in warm water with a DM leading the group (I still think I glanced at the compass to get a bearing so I had some idea of which direction we were headed). I would never enter the water in the PNW without a compass!

In our area, I tell my students that a compass is a mandatory piece of equipment. I also tell them to get into the habit, at least on shore dives, of noting the compass heading required to get back to dry land. Unless you intend to do all your dives guided by a DM, get the compass.

Also, when you come up through the kelp and are exhausted, it is comforting to just roll over and follow your compass in.

I've never heard that one before, that's a great idea! No kelp in the Sea of Cortez, but I had to accompany a friend on a surface swim back to the entry point, once. There were no clouds overhead, so it meant craning my neck around to check our heading and correcting occasionally.

Thanks

If dives have / are one of the following:
- Shore dives
- Bad vis (from 1 feet to 20 feet)
- include navigating to a goal (not dropped on it by a boat)

You should use compass. In my circumstances, this means I'll need a compass on 100% of my non holiday dives.

In our circumstances it's an integral part of leading a dive, and since we dive 2 or 3 men teams everyone needs to be in the know and capable to take over at any time. So yes it's an important part of diving where I come from.

Even in good vis, tropical waters it can come in handy to know your general bearings underwater.

On every boat dive, I take a compass heading to the closet land mass. If the boat needs to leave for an emergency, or the boat drifts away, or if a storm/fog rolls in, I want to know which way I need to start swimming to get to land.

______---

I think this is really good advice. I have read stories of dive couples being left behind on boats that have different dive groups. (Only a few, but I guess it only takes one to make it up close and personal.) If you get left behind, it would be comforting to know that you were at least swimming in the right direction!

A compass is like a cutting tool. Not always used but you are glad you have it when you need it.
I prefer a wrist mount to a gauge mount cluster.

So to answer the OP question..(sorry did not go through the entire thread..)..you should always dive with a compass. know how to use it in any vis ,on any dive, any where.

It should be part of your safety gear kit that you bring on every dive. and not just siting in the dive bag, but during your dives.

There are literally many hundreds of dives here in Hawaii that do not require a compass, both from shore and from boat. That statement still stands if you rent the boat and do not follow a guide. I always have a compass, because both my reg sets have a compass. Other than nav training dives I use a compass less than 1% of my dives. When I led scooter dives from shore to the St. Anthony wreck, I used my compass ~20% of my dives. If you are not very good at using a compass why take one? Just do the very numerous dives not needing a compass. :)

IMHO a good compass is a very valuable dive tool.

I'm with the group who always use a compass on every dive. I prefer a wrist mount and take an azimuth as soon as submerged. I then take a back azimuth at the turn point. I like to see how close I can come to the dive entry point, boat or shore diving, at the end of each dive.

Most of my local dives are in Northern California. I prefer to solo dive. I still am diving with my older Suunto SK-6, it is a key component for every dive.

Hi all

I was looking into buying an air/pressure console and was wondering if there is any point in getting one with an integrated compass? How much do people use a compass and is it useful in everyday diving? Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

I dive alot lakes in Texas where vis on a good day is 10 feet. I use my compass on every dive I go on and would not even consider diving without it.

Paul, I started off with an integrated console (SPG, compass, computer) and have since moved the components to wrist mounts and put the SPG in a single boot. Do you need a compass? A big part of that depends on where you are diving and the visibility.

Pretty much the same here. Started years ago with a console (depth, SPG and compass), and switched to a wrist mount computer on my right wrist + single boot SPG clipped to D-ring on my left upper BC + a compass that I can wear on my left wrist when diving in conditions where a compass may be necessary. Pretty streamlined.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom