How useful is a compass and how much is it really used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for placement, I'm fine with my compass on my console (I do have a backup attached to the small slate in my pocket). I wear my backup timer (watch) on my left wrist and my computer on my right, and I think a compass there would be crowding things a bit. Besides, I've found that it sets a safe pattern for me...every time I check my compass heading, I glance at my air supply and vice versa. That way, I simultaneously improve my gas monitoring skills and my situational awareness and heading. It's what works for me.

So if a compass is so essential as this is the general census here, why is it not taught in OW???

I will defo buy compass and will go with the wrist watch as I would to prefer to limit the amount of dangley bits and end up looking like a Christmas tree. The gear I have bought to start with is all travel based so I am trying to minimize waste as well.

I am off to Cyprus next week for my home leave (3 months on two weeks off in my current job). My girlfriend was asking if we should do our AOW and do the Zenobia wreck dive, but saying that we both logged less than 20 dives, I thinks its best to get competent within the 20 metre depth before venturing further where more problems can occur. I am reading a lot on SB about safety, planning dives, etc and want to have everything second nature at OW level before advancing. Anyhow, thats another discussion!

Paul

Compass is taught in OW to a degree by all the agencies. It really falls on the instructor and in this area at least local conditions as to what degree. I spend a full class session on naviagtion and the environment. We normally get 3-15 foot vis and a compass is not really an optional piece of gear. My OW students do basic reciprocal headings, and squares. When we get to the AOW class it gets much more involved and in the UW Nav course there is 6-8 hours of classroom followed by 6 dives and we use compass, nav, lines and reels, and a combination of all of them on the final dive. One thing that seems to help with developing nav skills at any level is to document the dive. Make a map of the area. Even if it's very basic and just on your slate. Seeing it written down seems to reinforce the skill.

So if a compass is so essential as this is the general census here, why is it not taught in OW???
I will defo buy compass and will go with the wrist watch as I would to prefer to limit the amount of dangley bits and end up looking like a Christmas tree. The gear I have bought to start with is all travel based so I am trying to minimize waste as well.

I am off to Cyprus next week for my home leave (3 months on two weeks off in my current job). My girlfriend was asking if we should do our AOW and do the Zenobia wreck dive, but saying that we both logged less than 20 dives, I thinks its best to get competent within the 20 metre depth before venturing further where more problems can occur. I am reading a lot on SB about safety, planning dives, etc and want to have everything second nature at OW level before advancing. Anyhow, thats another discussion!

Paul

I am sure that all agencies do require some compass skill, I can only talk about PADI classes as that is what I teach, but EVERY open water student is taught basic compass skills and is required to do a reciprocal in open water.

Who knows. I found that many people just never quite get the concept and end up just following someone.

The out and back taught in OW is so silly I wonder why they even bother.

I went from a good wrist mounted compass to console mounted compass.
Im sure some would disagree and say a wrist mounted is better.

Try each one out and see which you like better.

i learned to dive in the marines using a compass was not an option if you need to find your location on the map or chart being able to use triangelation <sp is mighty handy and all the other skills using a compass ...it's a must on any graetlakes wreck dive ...all of the folks i dove with untill i moved down south had and knew how to use a compass in reguards to insta buddys that don't have a compass and say i'll follow you ..*** imho i find it insulting ...and it makes me wonder how they got a c card to start with..

i learned to dive in the marines using a compass was not an option if you need to find your location on the map or chart being able to use triangelation <sp is mighty handy and all the other skills using a compass ...it's a must on any graetlakes wreck dive ...all of the folks i dove with untill i moved down south had and knew how to use a compass in reguards to insta buddys that don't have a compass and say i'll follow you ..*** imho i find it insulting ...and it makes me wonder how they got a c card to start with..

They may have learned it originally and then forgotten about it through lack of practice. It happens in all things we learn. For example, I used to be an English teacher, and I frequently see adults who have forgotten how to use punctuation marks.

I dive on the lakes a lot, and will occasionally be of little use when we're diving a steel wreck, but I tend to bring it with each time just because. I prefer it on my wrist.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom