How useful is a compass and how much is it really used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll offer a tropical water perspective: Compasses are often useful even in areas with good visability.

Here is why: Some reef areas do not have a predictable slope (or almost no slope at all for hundreds of yards), and sometimes large stretches of reef can look pretty darned uniform.... not much better than swimming over long stretches of sand as far as "landmarks" you can navigate back home with.

Personal anecdote: I got "lost" 2 weeks ago at a shore diving site here in Hilo I've been diving at for over 30 years. I had a compass on my wrist, but was not using it since I knew the site well, and just used "natural" navigation.... but we had decided to explore a more remote area of the reef, visibility was maybe 50 feet, it was an overcast day, and the reef in this area varied in depth from 50 to 70 feet, with sand areas between large stretches of reef. After swimming for quite awhile, we reached our turn pressure. I turned towards home (I thought) the depth gradually decreased as expected.... but then started to increase. Puzzled, I looked around, thought I understood what was wrong, and changed course, and for several minutes was convinced I was on the right heading (depth was decreasing). Then, the depth began to increase again! I finally looked at the compass on my wrist, noted that I was indeed headed towards shore, but by this time had lost all confidence in where I thought we were (and even doubted the compass) and decided to surface to take a bearing on the shoreline... when I did, I discovered I was about 200 yards aways from where I thought I was!

What had happened was I had been complacent, the reef had an unusual slope in the area I was exploring, and the overcast day resulted in less light penetrating the water thus less visual clues about direction. I had gradually gone off course by following the reef contour in an area of the reef I was not familiar with.

So to answer the original question: A compass is very useful, but only if you use it! :D

Best wishes.
Thank you for that post, and your story ... it's easy to understand how a compass would necessary in less than good visibility waters, but your post shows that a compass is just a good idea all around :)

Always take a Compass ... even when you don't need it

... cause when you do need it, you really do need it

On every boat dive, I take a compass heading to the closet land mass. If the boat needs to leave for an emergency, or the boat drifts away, or if a storm/fog rolls in, I want to know which way I need to start swimming to get to land.

On every anchored boat dive on a wall, I will start my dive at the anchor. Take a heading from the anchor to the wall, us a bit of natural navigation to mark the spot. Upon retuning to that spot, I can get back to the anchor. I had a few dives where the surface winds blew the boat to a different spot from where we started the dive, and I missed it since I used the stern as my starting point.

Low vis has been hit on.

Many time, local divers can tell you that Uber-rare-sea-creature can be found northeast of some landmark underwater. Or if you go due east from the bow of the boat, you can see some of the cargo that fell overboard during the sinking.

No need to do that in the Gulf of Mexico-----it's hard to see land masses 130 miles offshore:D-------If that were to happen, simply head North, go North young man......lol

The more I used a compass the more essential it became. Always had one, but only a few years ago did I really start using it for navigation, routinely. Saves a lot of spy hopping, and unnecessary long surface swims. The less time I spend on the surface the better.

As said before, even on Bonaire with great viz, it's nice to return to the entry point, dead on.

My navigation skills are NOT where I'd like them to be. When I go for AOW soon, that will definitely be one of the specialties I'd like to learn more of....

Nothing beats a gloomy, shallow lake for learning compass navigation - water needs to have vis poor enough that compass is a necessity for locating anything. The lake that I use has a float and a submerged dive training platform in the middle - there are days when location would be nearly impossible without the compass. I know to swim out slowly at 60 degrees for 7 1/2 minutes and platform will be on my left (making a purposeful error so that I know on which side to swim search pattern). Then I return at 240 to the boat ramp. This is also very good practice for buoyancy control as it can be very disorienting to concentrate on compass and depth without visual reference.

Hi all

I was looking into buying an air/pressure console and was wondering if there is any point in getting one with an integrated compass? How much do people use a compass and is it useful in everyday diving? Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Some sites to offer a fair amount of natural features that help you get around. However what you anticipate from topside contours is often very different underwater. Without a compass you will soon be lost.

There are of course scenarios of diving under a boat in pristine visibility or following a dive master / buddy that leads the dive. However you should always be in a position to complete your dive independently if need be.

Diving without a compass is inconceivable to me. The few times I have had a buddy without a compass I felt they were ill equipped to be making the dive. I had no back-up as navigator and in the event of separation there was an elevated urgency to reunite since I knew they'd be hurting alone.

Pete

Last edited:
Hi all

I was looking into buying an air/pressure console and was wondering if there is any point in getting one with an integrated compass? How much do people use a compass and is it useful in everyday diving? Any advise would be much appreciated.

Try a couple of different mounting styles, but get a compass.

How often do I use my compass? Every dive.

Last weekend, diving in the ocean with 40 ft viz, the tide changed and the viz went to 3 ft in a few seconds. At 65 fsw, it's not convenient to "pop up" and find the boat. We reformed our group, pulled out our compasses and headed back to the area around the boat to finish the dive.

Steve50 you are quick on the draw! :D

No need to do that in the Gulf of Mexico-----it's hard to see land masses 130 miles offshore:D-------If that were to happen, simply head North, go North young man......lol
Ah, the 130 miles surface swim! I think I'd save my energy, ride the gyre, and watch for oil rig platforms. Would prefer my boat, of course - and the skipper would be following the same current looking for me I trust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom