hypothetical question:using BCD manual inflator as spare alternate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used my wing as a counterlung for SCR for nearly 45 minutes one time in desperation. Got a huge headache, but I'm still here.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

My comment on the gene pool was mostly in jest, but although what you suggest would work, as others have said, you should never, ever be in a situation in which it is necessary to do something like that. That was my point. I am not being a sanctimonious jerk in saying so. Not only would going into such a situation without well checked and serviced equipment, redundant air, and proper training be reckless, the sequence of events you describe is on a likelihood akin to getting a surprise letter notifying you that you had won the Martian lottery.

But sure, it will work if you do find yourself there.

If you think you need to practice this for a what if scenario, then instead you should add redundant gas supplies, dependable buddies and better maintenance checks to your diving system until you decide that breathing from an LP inflator will never be necessary and not necessary to practice.

Personally, I would never breathe from my LP inflator, because I'm not sure what is growing in there :)

Personally, I would never breathe from my LP inflator, because I'm not sure what is growing in there :)

I have (during drills) and will again if needed. Like I said before, beats breathing water. The benefit of owning Halcyon products is that they can be taken apart completely, cleaned and serviced which I do after each trip. I know whats growing in there... Nothing :D

If you think you need to practice this for a what if scenario, then instead you should add redundant gas supplies, dependable buddies and better maintenance checks to your diving system until you decide that breathing from an LP inflator will never be necessary and not necessary to practice.

Psh, I'll breath the fart out of a donkey's ass if it means not drowning.

Tasty

OP---if all those things do occur??,.... it might be best to stick your head 'tween your legs---& kiss it good-bye.....

Psh, I'll breath the fart out of a donkey's ass if it means not drowning.

I've heard that suggestion before. I suspect that there would be a minimum of oxygen and an overdose of methane in that exchange. We'll need to run some tests.

There used to be a TV show called "Little House on the Prairie". I never watched it, but apparently in every episode, one thing after another would go wrong . . . My good friend Mo2vation refers to scenarios like the one the OP posited as "LHOP" scenarios -- the things that are simply never going to happen.

When you do your dive planning, you can get hysterical trying to set yourself up to avoid or cope with every conceivable malfunction or mishap. The group I dive with plans for ONE major error or malfunction, with the idea that an appropriate response to that will keep you from sliding down into the incident pit, where things start to snowball.

Yes, you can breath from an inflator. You can rebreathe into it, although you will quickly become short of breath and anxious, and develop a severe headache. It might well get you out of that wreck to do so. But you have already pointed out so many preferable methods of handling the situation, including not getting into it in the first place, that I think it should be clear that this is an intellectual curiosity and not a useful strategy.

When the alternative is drowning, you do whatever you can or have to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom