hypothetical question:using BCD manual inflator as spare alternate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a last resort, anything goes. Its beats the alternatives. I tried this for giggles but stayed at depth. It works. Depending on how deep i was i might exhale into the BCD on the way up from the shallows if i could control my ascent and arrive at teh surface buoyant.

A breath from an inflator is not only easier but also tastes a whole lot better.

It is still a very short lived breathing ability and you better be headed up quickly.

In a brief attempt to be serious....

If you are OOA, you want to get to the surface, and you want to do it in a reasonably quick manner. You should not need the supposed extra breath from your BCD. But let's say you did inhale from the BCD before beginning the ascent.

If you are properly weighted with a warm water wet suit (let's say 3mm), you will have very little air in the BCD. You can suck it all out to leave nothing, but you won't get much. If you are overweighted enough to get a meaningful breath (which can happen naturally with enough neoprene to provide significant compression), then sucking the air out of the BCD may make it very difficult for you to get to the surface in a timely manner. In that case, you have moved from a CESA to a buoyant (hopefully) ascent, since you had better drop your weights.

Remove the regs from the tank and breath directly off the tank.You think I am kidding we were taught this in OW many years ago when the dinosaurs roamed..........and it does work and is very doable.

Question is why would you start disassembling kit if you can use the inflator on the BCD? Its readily available and within easy reach.. Unless you dive without a bcd which was also common during that last iceage...

No BC's back then just a back pack .The fancy equipment was lacking BUT the training was excellent and thorough after a 12 week OW course you could actually dive.You had to watch for dinosaurs on the way to the dive site.

Psh, I'll breath the fart out of a donkey's ass if it means not drowning.

me too, but I am not about to start practicing breathing farts out of a donkey's ass, just in case :)

me too, but I am not about to start practicing breathing farts out of a donkey's ass, just in case :)

Then how can you have any confidence it will work in the admittedly unlikely event you will need it?

BTW--that comment is on topic because the potential scenario in which one would have to resort to that is not much less likely than the scenario described in this thread. I firmly believe in training and practicing for potential situations, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

What about sharknado ? You're in the above situation, trapped in a deep wreck, sipping on your BC mouthpiece when a tornado-shark school attacks ?

Thats when you have to bend over, unzip your pants and kiss your ass goodbye...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom