hypothetical question:using BCD manual inflator as spare alternate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then how can you have any confidence it will work in the admittedly unlikely event you will need it?

BTW--that comment is on topic because the potential scenario in which one would have to resort to that is not much less likely than the scenario described in this thread. I firmly believe in training and practicing for potential situations, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

I think some things are worth practicing and some aren't. I would start carrying a spare air before practicing breathing off of my BC.

People have survived in caves breathing air pockets in the ceiling, but I am not about to go and practice that either.

Though I can't quite remember where I once read an article about a bloke who had been practicing doing this and developed a nasty lung infection from a fungus that set up shop in his lungs, the inside of even the best maintained bladder is a breeding ground for such things. This chap now needs a new set of lungs.

As a last resort I'd happily run that risk, but I'm unwilling to practice it.

Found it, Think twice before breathing off a bag - Divernet , sorry looks like he wasn't practicing the drill but just setting up kit, same deal though.

Yes, but you don't rebreathe the air in the bladder. You push the inflator and deflator button at the same time so that air coming directly from the tank goes into your mouth and you minimize any air coming from the wing. However, unless you take very poor care of your equipment and never prebreathe it, your scenario doesn't seem likely in my opinion.

Breathing from your own wing or BCD bladder is not likely to cause you a big medical problem. Any bugs in there will be your own normal pulmonary flora. You'll just be breathing the same bacteria that you already have in your lungs.

Unless you have lent your gear to Dsix36 or PfcAJ. In which case farts from a donkey's ass would be far preferable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom