I am 16,could I do the cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crawford:
Back in the day (talking in the sixties) there wasn't much in the way of training or statistics on cave deaths. Now there are plenty of good instructors out there to learn from in this very "potentially" dangerous sport. We also have the gift of hindsight now with cave diving accident statistics, which point unquestionably toward no training, or diving beyond one's training as the #1 cause of cave diving accidents.

Stupid is the appropriate word for cave diving without training, or beyond your training, if you are aware of this information. Someone on the board recently cited Sheck as an example of a "self trained" cave diver. Sheck came along before there was any real training available. Once he "luckily" in his own words survived many near misses (read "Caverns Measureless to Man"), he became a primary advocate for training and it's importance.

Don't cave dive without training. STUPID. Listen up young divers.

What is this Listen up young divers. Do you mean Young in age divers or young in experiance divers. I personally am 23 yrs. old and consider myself young?

crawford:
Yes to both.

why yes to young divers. (agewise) Is there any reason i should not be diving at 23? am i a safety concern? a statistic because i am young? I have some experiance under my belt, prob more than the average diver.

jaydee197,
Not sure where you're coming from with this. My main dive buddy is 13 years old (my son). My post says get trained before going into the caves. I'm especially concerned that young divers (like my son and the 16 year old who originally posted this thread) will hear someone say they can dive in a cave without training.

I think you read something else into this. Take care. Young divers are great. You're awesome. You're the best.......

crawford:
jaydee197,
Not sure where you're coming from with this. My main dive buddy is 13 years old (my son). My post says get trained before going into the caves. I'm especially concerned that young divers (like my son and the 16 year old who originally posted this thread) will hear someone say they can dive in a cave without training.

I think you read something else into this. Take care. Young divers are great. You're awesome. You're the best.......

My apologies for jumping.

jaydee197,
No problem, Bro. If you're in the midwest this summer let me know and we'll go diving.

Take care.

Wendy:
Well in that case I guess it would also be ok to just read up and practice some brain surgery on the neighbor's cat and get an understanding of it and then go out and open up a medical practice and treat people. Afterall I did read up on it alot and practiced some.

If you only treated yourself, that would be one thing, and would correlate to this discussion. However, treating other people requires licensing. Besides, the practice operation would be animal cruelty. As long as he didn't practice in ways to harm wildlife (no line drills or lights out drills on coral reefs! :wink: ) then he would pass that hurdle. For that matter, it isn't illegal to cave dive without certification. It is simply not covered under insurance, and most (all?) commercial/state facilities restrict access to those certified in order to limit their liability. I personally support the idea of proper training, but I do believe there are certain instances where people without certain certifications are still safe divers.

Every death in a cave effects the entire cave diving community, even when the diver who dies is not a true cave diver.

I'll say it again, diving beyond your training is STUPID the only way to safely cave dive is to take a class, you learn by doing, not by reading.

Ben

namelz52:
I am 16 years old boy,could I do the cave diving?

I start my diving in my 12 years old
This guy is a troll.

MgicTwnger:
This guy is a troll.
If so, he's the most elaborate I've ever seen on a diving board, setting up a fake 'legend' with picture, home pages and several 'reasonable' postings in order to successfully troll in this one. No, I don't think our young friend is a troll, but merely a young diver seeking more information in diving matters in a language which is not his own. I think he's entitled to post, and entitled to get the opinions he seeks.

Keep posting, Namelz. There are no such things as silly questions ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom