I am 16,could I do the cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins wake:
If so, he's the most elaborate I've ever seen on a diving board, setting up a fake 'legend' with picture, home pages and several 'reasonable' postings in order to successfully troll in this one. No, I don't think our young friend is a troll, but merely a young diver seeking more information in diving matters in a language which is not his own. I think he's entitled to post, and entitled to get the opinions he seeks.

Keep posting, Namelz. There are no such things as silly questions ...
There's one born every minute...

MgicTwnger:
There's one born every minute...
Well, the Michael Jackson jokes have already been made. But unless you are Namelz or know him, I don't see how you can make any such assumption.

Not-so-gullible-Fins :wink:

I smelled a troll too. His English is as made up as his profile. Additionally, most people his age can tell you BOTH their age and their year of birth with reasonable accuracy.

Zippsy:
His English is as made up as his profile. Additionally, most people his age can tell you BOTH their age and their year of birth with reasonable accuracy.
Both points have been adequately addressed IMHO in other posts (not in this thread). As I wrote, if he's a troll, he's very elaborate. I thought the thought myself at first, before I saw (and read through) all the relevant threads and checked up some linked web pages. Of course, we could still check sock puppets, but then I feel we're almost into Robert D Hare territory ... :spike: :help:

Incidentally, I know of plenty of adult people who get their ages wrong BTW. Not unusual.

Insp Clouseau :cheeky:

fins wake:
Incidentally, I know of plenty of adult people who get their ages wrong BTW. Not unusual.
Ya, but do you know ANY 15 year olds that get their age wrong? It's all good though. He helps stimulate discussion. I'm just happy he didn't say anything in the YMCA vs. PADI debate. :wink:

Mat4020:
He is also speaking English as a second language
Yes, he did mention that but people who speak English as a second language usually make consistent mistakes because these mistakes usually mimic the sentence structure of their first language. I may not be an expert in Swahili or Gondi but I can tell that his mistakes are not consistent and they don't come close to those made by anyone I do know whose second language is English. (before you ask, I'm an American who has lived overseas most his life, dealing with people from just about every country and teaching English -or at least American - as a second language).

Zippsy:
Yes, he did mention that but people who speak English as a second language usually make consistent mistakes because these mistakes usually mimic the sentence structure of their first language. I may not be an expert in Swahili or Gondi but I can tell that his mistakes are not consistent and they don't come close to those made by anyone I do know whose second language is English. (before you ask, I'm an American who has lived overseas most his life, dealing with people from just about every country and teaching English -or at least American - as a second language).

You mean American is actually a Language Call out the English! Thats means I speak Canadian eh!

Zippsy:
Yes, he did mention that but people who speak English as a second language usually make consistent mistakes because these mistakes usually mimic the sentence structure of their first language.
Except we don't know which language that is (although I can guess) and there may be other considerations to be made. Not everyone speaks or writes their own mother tongue fluently either, for various reasons. I suggest we PM our thoughts on this matter as it is (a) rude to the lad in question (whom I believe to be legit) and (b) boring for everyone else. I agree the subject matter is interesting though.

Prof. Higgins

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom