I am a little nervous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point Richard. I guess I have a problem with the dive industry inventing all of the hoopty crap they have. The poor ( or soon to be ) new diver depends on the shop for correct, sound advice with equipment selection. Instead they sell the poor guy or gal a package of all sorts of crap. I do mean crap.
Since they paid top dollar for the crap they are going to make it work no matter what. How can it be crap equipment since the LDS said it's good, and they paid a premium price for it? It can't be! I use the word "crap" a lot because the word **** gets blotted out! :D

The Air2 is just one more thing in a long list of crap which is a poor implementation of dive gear.

The only remaining issue revolves around trying to breathe from the AIR II while controlling your buoyancy (and your buddy's) with the BCD. This is clearly a much bigger problem in cold water than warm. To be honest, most of the dives on which I used the AIR II were in warm water. Buoyancy control was never much of a consideration. Basically, you have to remove the regulator from your mouth to vent the BCD and this MAY cause you to hold your breathe on ascent which is why you're venting in the first place.

Thanks for your very thorough post, Richard. However, I have to disagree with the above statement...specifically, that which is bolded. This is incorrect, as many BCDs which have Air2 connections also have other air dump pulls, eliminating the need to remove the Air2 regulator from your mouth, causing the individual to hold their breath. As well, it is taught in ALL OW courses which I have taken or observed that you never hold your breath, and should always be exhaling small bubbles, even while remaining in a static position (or seemingly so) to prevent lung overexpansion problems.:crafty:

If air 2's and octos worked so well EVERYONE would just use them as a primary reg and save themselves 100's of bucks on the cost of primary regulators. But they usually don't.

You've done 0-24 dives. It is not a good idea to fall into the habit of making up your mind on a piece of equipment when you are so very inexperienced. You say you've tried both ways, there aren't two ways to configure your regulators for one thing... I have never used an AIRII so not going to comment on what it is like other than to say no one I know has continued using it once they have gained experience... One thing I do I know is that I do not have the experience to know the ideal equipment for me yet so am not going to close my mind to different options without even trying them. :shakehead:

Also I asked some questions before regarding some bold statements you made earlier on? I.e. how many real OOA scenarios have you had to deal with in your 0-24 dives? And I am curious to hear your source about why a panicked diver is more likely to grab your primary over your occy? Seeing as you are one of the few big fans of the AIRII wouldn't mind hearing some of your practical experiences with its use other than training dives that make you so certain it is the best gear configuration for you.

It is not my experience I am relying on here. It is my wife's. She is a marine biologist and has been diving for 20+ years. Plus (and unless you are one, hard to understand) but I have been in martial arts for 20+ years and have control over my body to such a degree that I can ascertain pretty quickly what I feel comfortable with. I have messed with both and just prefer the AIR2. Yes my experience is limited but I have talked with my wife and other divers I have known. My wife has an Octo setup but she is thinking about an AIR2.

Plus the less hoses on her the sexier. :cool2:

It is not my experience I am relying on here. It is my wife's. She is a marine biologist and has been diving for 20+ years. Plus (and unless you are one, hard to understand) but I have been in martial arts for 20+ years and have control over my body to such a degree that I can ascertain pretty quickly what I feel comfortable with. I have messed with both and just prefer the AIR2. Yes my experience is limited but I have talked with my wife and other divers I have known. My wife has an Octo setup but she is thinking about an AIR2.

Plus the less hoses on her the sexier. :cool2:

There aren't two regulator configurations only, you've said a few times you've tried both. What exactly do you mean?

Also feeling comfortable with your body because you do martial arts doesn't really explain to me why an AIRII is better for diving over other regulator setups. Can you elaborate why exactly the AIRII makes you more comfortable? If it isn't experience I am wondering what exactly it is... I haven't seen any arguments as to why an AIRII is superior over other regulator setups. I haven't used one and always like to learn about different gear configurations to my own but so far no one who uses one has been able to offer a decent argument about why they are not rubbish like most people say they are... I am still wondering what their benefits are? :confused:

I have been in martial arts for 20+ years and have control over my body to such a degree that I can ascertain pretty quickly what I feel comfortable with. :

Congrats. That is the funniest thing I have ever read on this (or any) diving website.

Trust me, if you continue diving you will eventually give up the AirII and feel quite foolish for ever having defended it at all.

KungFu is not going to help you when the **** hits the fan.

Also feeling comfortable with your body because you do martial arts doesn't really explain to me why an AIRII is better for diving over other regulator setups. Can you elaborate why exactly the AIRII makes you more comfortable? If it isn't experience I am wondering what exactly it is... I haven't seen any arguments as to why an AIRII is superior over other regulator setups. I haven't used one and always like to learn about different gear configurations to my own but so far no one who uses one has been able to offer a decent argument about why they are not rubbish like most people say they are... I am still wondering what their benefits are? :confused:

This might help. I have tried an octo clipped off. Do not like that is takes a little to unclip it. I have tried one on a lanyard around my neck. Not comfortable with something around my neck that can get hung on something (past experience). To me the AIR2 is comfortable for me for those two reasons. My wife just likes the idea of one less hose and she said she had a couple of OOA intances where the other diver ripped it out of her mouth to get air.

IceBergSlim: I am going to disagree big time here. My training HAS saved my life when the **** hit the fan. I am a pilot and had an inflight emergency alone in the plane at night. Bird hit the plane (did not know this till the next day). I did not panic but calmed myself and did what I needed to do. There was not even a pucker factor. I am alive becuase I have control over me which I did not have before the training.

So when the **** hits the fan I know from experience I will be calm due to this.

Oh and please no one take my responses personally I just love a good debate. Probably because I am a :dork2:

:popcorn: :rofl3:

This is actually getting to be kind of funny now. A pilot, martial arts expert, and an air2 expert all rolled into one.

This is actually getting to be kind of funny now. A pilot, martial arts expert, and an air2 expert all rolled into one.

Def not an expert by any means in AIR2 or scuba. In those respects I am a baby. I do hold a 6th Dan Chief Master degree in Taekwondo, 1st Degree in Judo and 1st Degree in Hapkido so expert there, yeah maybe. :wink:

I just like my AIR2. One day I might ditch the AIR2 but for now I loves it like my own secondary breathing aperatus. It feels good, breaths well and I look good wearing it. Of course I would look good wearing an OCTO. Oh and if guys need proof of the pilot, martial arts stuff, I have it in spades from videos to certifications, etc. :cool2:

Plus I turn 40 tomorrow so been around the block a little bit. Like I said I just enjoy having fun and debating is fun when I am bored at work. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom