I bought a boat!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 2005 19ft key west and i can tell u there is no feeling like motoring to your own dive site not liking the viz and moving somewhere else. Some days we hit 5-6 dive sites it is very hard to dive the charters again except for maybe the duane spiegal and eagle.
Further with your own boat you handpicked seas, viz, sites that you want to dive

that is so true!! im so excited this weekend is launch test day. i still have to replace the lower shift cable and the bilge pump then its off to a local lake for sea trials. wooo hooo

I just bought my own 1987 West Boats 17'7" CC a few months ago for the princely sum of $1500 including a Suzuki 140. I spend $400 on a new control box, and new cables, and $500 at the repair shop having the carbs cleaned & Adjusted, sensors replaced, and a few other misc service items. For less than $2500 I have a great boat that flies at 42mph and will easily cut the chop. I am looking forward as you are to a bit of my own freedom. I am still ahead in the $ game so far so no regrets here!

See you on the water :)

well my launch is just going to have to wait, my poor little truck is too small to pull the boat. so i gotta wait for a bigger truck.

Congrats! The two happest days of a boat owners life are they day you buy it and the day you sell it. Enjoy and be safe.

so i gotta wait for a bigger truck

:D :D

That's classic! I had to keep my 1990 3/4 ton Suburban just to tow my boat. The expenses keep on a comin'. By the time you figure the gas for the boat, the extra insurance for the extra truck.... etc. Boating is an expensive proposition. Oh well, it's just money. :wink:

ya it's pretty humorous, I'm just gonna rent a truck for now, its actually cheaper than buying a new or used truck.we are saving for a house so im gonna try not to spend that much money on the boat for now.lol

just a quick update on my boat this week i rebuilt my carburater and im gonna put in a new bilge pump because the old one wont work. I'm gonna install the carb tomorrow and see if it solves my hard to cold start problem!

100days-a-year:
Cost of 75 days if chartered(used to really be 100days).Mostly spearfishing or lobstering and mostly deep.$7500 easily

Cost of DWs 50 days diving if chartered.$5000 easily

These figures are probably very conservative cause most days are 3-5 tanks and we go where few others get to.Thats $12.5k which is far less than the less than $8K I average on total payments,gas,insurance,maintenance and repairs.Figure I get 200 dives a year on avg if not 250. DW gets about 80-100 .That's about $25 a dive +fills(I buy 100 at a time)of $2-5 per dive.Now what did you non-owners pay?

BTW this doesn't include any offset for the fresh fish and loster we eat every week.
Enjoy the boat rebelman and congrats.

Days of the year: 365
Minus days working: 104
Subtract winter days: 52
Subtract bad weather (maybe half the time): 26
Then there's all those days you get stuck going to a wedding, chores, etc. . . .

Now divide the price of boat, insurance, maintenance, gas, time spent cleaning by the actual number of dives....

Congratulations on your new boat! I am quite jealous, even if my math works it out to be cheaper to charter. There's nothing like not having to answer to anyone and coming back when YOU feel like it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom