I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know what the teeth are - but there are some other items I am not sure of. I also can identify the sting ray barbs.....What are the ones with ridges?

Attachments

• fossil1.jpg
    fossil1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 309
  • fossil2.jpg
    fossil2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 313
  • fossil3.jpg
    fossil3.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 275
  • fossil4.jpg
    fossil4.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 328
  • fossil5.jpg
    fossil5.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 272
  • fossil6.jpg
    fossil6.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 263
  • fossil7.jpg
    fossil7.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 268
  • fossil8.jpg
    fossil8.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 305
  • fossil9.jpg
    fossil9.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 264
"The ones with the ridges" are sections of stingray crusher plates (teeth). On the rare occasion that you find a complete intact crusher plate, it has several rows of crushers and is about the size of a hockey puck.

Judging from the shape of the tooth, and the tooth root, I'd say the tooth on the left is a meg...probably one of the smaller back teeth. The tooth on the right has a similar root but the tooth is narrower...probably bull shark. Just my opinion, maybe fossilbabe or one of the other experts may be able to id it better.

Made it down to Service Club park today - found my first two bones - wanted to know if anyone had a solid idea - also found some teeth that I am not familiar with - all input appreciated.

Attachments

• SANY0497.jpg
    SANY0497.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 283
  • SANY0498.jpg
    SANY0498.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 264
  • SANY0499.jpg
    SANY0499.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 280
  • SANY0500.jpg
    SANY0500.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 244
  • SANY0501.jpg
    SANY0501.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 236
  • SANY0502.jpg
    SANY0502.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 246
  • SANY0503.jpg
    SANY0503.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 236
  • SANY0504.jpg
    SANY0504.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 242
The long bone looks like a whale/dolphin rib bone. In picture#3 there are some visible deep gouges in the bone that are similar to gouges I've seen made by shark's teeth...maybe the victim of a Megaladon. I have no clue about the other bone. Hopefully fossilbabe can help out. As far as the shark teeth go, I see sand tiger teeth, lemon shark teeth and bull shark teeth. Also some nice stingray barbs. BTW very nice finds...it's great to see another fossil addict at work!

Last edited:
Thanks :) - I am hooked. This afternoon I intended to stay for about 60 minutes - ended up doing 96 :wink:

There were people on the beach as the sun was going down who were starting to get worried.....

Those three barbs are the most complete I have seen so far - I would love to find a whole one....

Still looking for a Meg - we'll see. I saw some areas off of Service Club today that I want to revisit for a more detailed search - maybe tomorrow or Sunday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom