I hate conforming...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, let me ask you, what Tech BC is more than $600 - because I haven't even seen the Zeagle Ranger (toted as a huge Tech BC) as being MORE than $450!

?

Where IS a BP and wings cheaper?

Dive Rite, OMS and halcyon are all about the same prices for their wings. Add another $100 for a BP. Another $70 if one goes with an STA, $8-10 per bolt snap, about $34 each for Halcyon tank straps, $25-30 ea for the DIR hoses.

???

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
As a DM you might run into trouble if the shops you work with don't like them.
That's very true too. A lot of shops hate anything and everything to do with DIR and it's gear configurations. Maybe I'll come out and take the course from you.:)

Well, quite honestly, I'd love for any of them to tell me a DIR rig IS cheaper, because its not. ESPECIALLy if one buys top quality gear. I spent probably 40% more on my DIR rig, and frankly, didn't dive as well with it. Sure, I'm sure I'll take alot of flack for that - but, the fact IS, at least for recreational diving that I do - a BC works fine, and costs LESS!

Wendy,

I am going to be starting with Rescue Diver and then smoothly sequeing into Divemaster. As I will be taking six months off to dive, I think I can squeeze this in.

A

hating DIR-style gear.

I mentioned that I had picked up a BP+Wing to the owner of one of the LDS's down here.

You'd have thought I just told her that I was Beelzebub.

She went on for quite a while about how that was a complete waste, and that the long hose and bungie required "significant training" to use without getting yourself in trouble, etc etc etc.

Oh really, say's I?

Oh really, says she.

So then I ask her - "Gee, you guys like the Air2. A lot. So let's see, if I have a regular reg in my mouth, and an Air2, I have to donate the reg in my mouth and use the Air2. Exactly how does this differ from having the bungied backup - other than the fact that I can get to the bungied secondary without using my hands!"

She sputtered a bit on that one.... :)

Scuba446 once bubbled...
How much did you lose on your DIR rig then? I'm assuming you sold everything to downgrade right?

I don't consider it a 'downgrade' - but an intelligent decison based on the type of diving *I* do. I don't consider a BP and wing the 'end all' to every diving problem that you guys view it as - and I am sure there are others out there who dive a BC that will agree. I recall a lengthly discussion from another gentleman who did a side-by-side comparison with a BP and wings vs a BC - and the BP didn't come out any more of a winner than it did for me. Why's that, you think?

Seems other divers didn't see the big 'picture' of DIR when it came time to sell MY DIR rig.

If DIR is SO good - how come then buyers didn't 'jump all over' my eBay rig? It WAS like-new, in fact. ?????

I didn't find that a DIR rig made *me* dive any better than anyone I ever dove with in a BC? In fact, none of MY diving friends ever came out of the water 'out of breath' or fatigued from wearing a BC - because of so-called 'drag.'

?

Hmmm... I'm getting a FredT heavy SST plate $89, SST STA $50, his harness kit $40, a ND X Wing from Bob3 $160, and I already have a 7' hose online for $15, Total $354 plus some shipping maybe $20 for a grand total of $374. Am I missing something? My Oceanic Chute II cost me $450 and I sold it on eBay for $310, not bad for over a year old...Oh I dive a dry suit in the so cal area mostly...I think my BP/Wing set up is cheaper and will be better quality.

Back
Top Bottom