I need a SoCal Diving Guide for Dummies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm on that rig trip- it is live boat drop off and pick up, and it is not for an inexperienced open ocean diver
Not really on topic, but it always makes me smile a little when SoCal folks say this. ALL of our charters in Puget Sound (with a very rare exception) are live boat. We're used to that; it's finding the boat again that's a challenge to us PNWers!

Which is why I mention it because except for the rigs, Blue Cavern (by the Chamber) and getting blown off Farnsworth, virtually NONE of our boats are. Nothing like the look on a divers face when they get 'surprised' by a life boat dive!

And finding an anchored boat isn't always that easy for some of us!

Catalina sucks, stay home...

Attachments

• DSC00921.jpg
    DSC00921.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC00920.jpg
    DSC00920.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00934.jpg
    DSC00934.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 79
Wow, thanks for showing me how bad it is, Slater. I'm gonna cancel the flights. I'll just keep blowing bubbles in my tub :snorkel2: (I just discovered smilies. You have be warned.)

I e-mailed Magician and SunDiver.
Is this enough, fnfalman?
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I imagine it will go something like this:
Feelin cool being in SoCal :cool2:
Rush to get to the boat
burnout.gif

Can't wait to get in the water :bounce2:
Feel the temperature of the water :shocked2:
dive dive dive:diver:
Be amazed :amazed:

I imagine it will go something like this:
Feelin cool being in SoCal :cool2:
Rush to get to the boat
burnout.gif

Can't wait to get in the water :bounce2:
Feel the temperature of the water :shocked2:
dive dive dive:diver:
Be amazed :amazed:
You forgot the part about feeling like you can't breathe because you're wearing a thick neoprene suit. Lots of warm water divers complain about this, you know.
Then there's the issue of having to wear significantly more lead to compensate for the buoyancy of your exposure protection. Don't forget to do a proper weight check.
There's also the weird feeling of having to add a lot of air to your BCD as your thick suit compresses upon descent down to 100 fsw. That bubble inside the BCD needs to be managed during ascent.
Due to the temperature of the water, mask clears can be more...errr...refreshing.

Other than that, diving in SoCal temperate waters is a lot of fun. Have a great time! :D

We have a term for people who make those complaints. TOS prohibits me from repeating it here. :D

You forgot the part about feeling like you can't breathe because you're wearing a thick neoprene suit. Lots of warm water divers complain about this, you know.
Then there's the issue of having to wear significantly more lead to compensate for the buoyancy of your exposure protection. Don't forget to do a proper weight check.
There's also the weird feeling of having to add a lot of air to your BCD as your thick suit compresses upon descent down to 100 fsw. That bubble inside the BCD needs to be managed during ascent.
Due to the temperature of the water, mask clears can be more...errr...refreshing.

Other than that, diving in SoCal temperate waters is a lot of fun. Have a great time! :D

Wow... who brought the wet sock to the party? Just when the guy was excited.

Wow... who brought the wet sock to the party? Just when the guy was excited.
I've taken several warm water divers out on a local shore dive, and those were some of the complaints they shared.

SoCal diving ain't a bed of roses. We take the good with the bad.
I neglected to mention that the vis isn't always so great. I'm content with 15 ft. vis on most days. But then again, I like the macro stuff, so even crappy vis doesn't bother me so much.

I'm a firm believer in under-promising and over-delivering. :wink:

Very valid points. We tend to forget about this aspect.

You have to add a lot of air when you go deeper anyway. Also, regardless of how much air being put into the BC, said air will need to be vented out during an ascension anyway - cold water or warm water.

I e-mailed Magician and SunDiver.
Is this enough, fnfalman?

I usually call and make my reservation. I've never done it email style before.

However, they should get back with you on your questions. I presume that you were asking them about providing for rental gears?

Back
Top Bottom