i need help figuring out what wetsuit to buy - please : 0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where are you going in Asia? I'm headed back to the Philippines.

cheers to you too dennis - got it all figured out now
and just re-read yours more carefully and realized you were saying exactly the same thing.
i understand now. thanks
and i will take your advice about just trying things on. the choice will then be to decide whether to buy both a long and short.. or what. hmmm.
thanks again

well.. i guess i am not really going to asia asia.. i am actually headed to India this friday. no diving this time since I just could not get my act together to make it out to the islands. I am just going to hit the beach and relax - yay!
where in the phillipines? I have only ever been to malapascua - really nice little place off the coast of cebu. had a great time hanging out there!

Diver Dennis:
Where are you going in Asia? I'm headed back to the Philippines.
Our good friends are moving to Cebu thursday, he has never dived but bought all his gear. They have two houses there, wahooooooo!

mulhalmoni:
ok - wetsuit - I dive mostly exclusively in South East Asia (Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Phillipines) as well as in the red sea. Should I buy a shortie or a full length? What thickness would be a best bet for the places that I dive?
and finally - what brands are best? I am female ... does that make a difference?

Fit is most important, and brands differ in their cut, so choose the brand based on fit. I'd go with full length because it'll give you more protection in tight spaces and against things in the water that sometimes burn your bare skin.

I use a 3,5mm wetsuit in the Philippines with hood and boots. Most divers tehre were using 3mm wetsuits. Tech divers sometimes used more.

I used a drysuit in the Red Sea (Egypt) in March. My gf used a 7mm wetsuit with hood, and that was just enough for her. All the DM's I met were either diving dry or using 7mm wetsuits there in March.

rash guards/undershirts - i saw alot of these in the red sea - necessary? They are pretty useful for snorkelling i suppose.

I use one so I don't get sunburned while not wearing a wetsuit on the boat or shore.

mask - what fits, right? ok. good brands to recommend?

I prefer basic masks without any gimmicks. Some prefer a black skirt (more focus) other prefer a clear skirt (can detect a little more movement at sides). Best to try on before buying, or if you order then make sure you can return it if it doesn't fit.

final question - flippers - what do we think about split fin? bad? again.. what feels good?

split fins are good for flutter - apallo biofins seem popular. same with force fins - pro version - and they are easy to travel with. I prefer and recommend scubapro jetfins because they are good for frog- and backkicks, but the foot pockets suck. (you can find used ones for cheap on ebay).

so - if i was to buy these items ... would that be a good starter kit? I don't really want to invest in vest right now or anything... i just want my own "close to my skin" gear.

i know this is a long shopping list of things to ask for help from .. but i just get lost when i start to look at stuff. And i have spent enough money on equipment lately that it makes sense to buy my own.
thanks in advance everyone!
:D

if you want to save money then consider buying used fins off ebay. mask and wetsuit/s I'd buy new and try on before buying.

floater - u rock! thanks for the great information - in fact, i am going to print that off and look around.
unfortunately - i have no luck with ebay - nobody wants to ship to turkey - and mostly likely... it would get "lost" if someone did.
diving in egypt is pretty great huh? I loved the national park there - but i have also been in jordan and eilat, israel. Pretty great all around.
thanks again
and to dennis - have a great time in the phillipines!

For masks and fins I tend to favor the Mares line. I've had my Avanti Quattros for seven years now and I love them. I've tried Atomic and Scubapro splits and they both seem like good fins.

I started with a Dacor mask and have moved on to a Mares X-vision. I will probably buy an Atomic mask next (it's quite pricey however).

The 3/2 Bare Velocity is a great suit and I use it in water 70-80F.

Hope this helps.

-J.-

mulhalmoni

Regarding your suit here's a thought. Odds are that diving conditions will vary as will your desired protection. In other words most of us eventually end with a wardrobe. It sounds like you are going to be someplace between a rash guard and a 5mm suit at one time or another. Getting a 3 or 3/2 full suit would be a good start. Brand is not nearly as important as fir so just go find something that is comfortable but fits you with just a hint of compression all over.

Augmenting with a beanie, hood, vest or hooded vest can extend your range. Once you have a feel for you diving in your waters you can decide what your next investment will be.

Your mask wants to be an onsite fitting and accept no compromises. Here are some ideas.

Open heel fins with straps are usually the most versatile. They will keep your feet warm and protect you on rough terrain during shore entries.

Pete

As

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom