I wanna do it all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's very hard to become a GUE instructor -- I know, because I investigated it, for me, at the recreational level. It's even harder, and far more expensive, to become a GUE technical instructor. You have to recertify every several years, and it's not trivial -- you have to present yourself, have your skills evaluated, and have your teaching technique scrutinized. There aren't very many GUE technical teachers, because it's so difficult to get there, and so hard to maintain. It makes for a high degree of predictability -- there is very little standards drift or curriculum variation, except in details.

I will not in any way defend GUE as having a uniform cadre of superb instructors. Some of them are great teachers and some are not. Some are suitable for one type of student, and some better for another. But of all the agencies, GUE keeps their staff most to heel; the curriculum is very structured, and the student can look up the standards for the class, and the criteria for evaluation, and all classes should be run (and generally are) according to those things.

I don't know of another agency, either cave or technical, that polices its instructional cadre as closely. THOSE are the reasons I push GUE, not because the agency is supporting some bad-ass exploration activity.

agreed

I've stayed out of this until now but rly? You have just unequvocably shown that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

...I know twin dees isn't a real cave exploration site...

Unsung Heroes of KUR on Vimeo

I know twin dees isn't a real cave exploration site...

I'm not a GUE instructor, and I don't pretend to speak for KUR, but I was at twin dees this morning at 8am installing bail out bottles and scooters in the cave for today's exploration dive. The assistant training director for GUE was there today to help out too.

I'm not sure what your point was..

Most (all?) of the other agencies have tech classes. No need to enlist in GUE to tech dive!

That said, you're not going to be successful without buying some additional gear no matter what you choose. Some of your current gear will work but some of it may be unsuitable. Other necessary gear you probably don't have. For example I think all three of those that you mention (deep, cave/wreck i.e. overheads) require redundant gas supplies - sidemount or back-mount doubles...

Another thing to consider. Tech classes themselves are far more expensive than OW/AOW stuff.

...and finally. Even tech classes with agencies other than GUE (NSSCDS for example) are very challenging. Far more challenging than ow/aow.

. But of all the agencies, GUE keeps their staff most to heel; the curriculum is very structured, and the student can look up the standards for the class, and the criteria for evaluation, and all classes should be run (and generally are) according to those things.

GUE as an agency does zero followup with students that did not meet the class goals. That hardly seems like policing the instructors closely. If the instructors end up being an impediment rather than a help they have something to work on. I wish they would but there appears to be little interest to do so.

Is it not true that all students can do a QA questionnaire? I have never outright failed a class -- I have provisionaled two, but I did QA on both.

Seeing the various pictures on the various diving Facebook groups I belong to, I keep thinking: I wanna do that.

Dive below 130 feet, dive in caves, dive in wrecks, the list goes on.

I have my AOW. I know I can do more certifications, but, I want to know; Is there something higher than AOW that covers caves and deeper, but does not force me to wear and use the exact same things as everyone else?

I am guessing that means going Tech, but I don't dive enough.

You pretty much described technical diving which requires greater planning, discipline, skills and practice. Complicated things require more in-water time and more practice to remain sharp and safe.

I've been out of wifi reach for a while. Just got back.
This thread has been just marvellous for getting back into the politics of scuba.

As for the OP (are you still around by the way?), I'm not convinced you are doing a dive to 17001 feet of cave any time soon. So really, any good tech instructor will get you started. Gear requirements are going to be expensive, no matter how you progress. Breathing gas can also be ridiculous once you start adding helium in the far flung regions of the world.

GUE as an agency does zero followup with students that did not meet the class goals. That hardly seems like policing the instructors closely. If the instructors end up being an impediment rather than a help they have something to work on. I wish they would but there appears to be little interest to do so.
Well that's inaccurate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom