I wish someone had told me to just do it myself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sourdough

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I could've saved a lot of money on my BP/W by just buying the plate & wing from the brand I wanted and all the webbing, rings, tri glides, and whatnot from DGX or Pirahna.

And putting it together is fun as hell! Both my spouse and I tore apart our deluxe quick release harnesses to simplify with a continuous webbing Hogarthian style assembly, non black webbing for yammy yammy style points. Came out much cleaner.

I must've listened to this lovely accordion dozens of times as my raw fingers worked the crotch strap back onto itself for the loop. 😃

I could've saved a lot of money on my BP/W by just buying the plate & wing from the brand I wanted and all the webbing, rings, tri glides, and whatnot from DGX or Pirahna. And putting it together is fun as hell! Both my spouse and I tore apart our deluxe quick release harnesses to simplify with a continuous webbing Hogarthian style assembly, non black webbing for yammy yammy style points. Came out much cleaner. I must've listened to this lovely accordion dozens of times as my raw fingers worked the crotch strap back onto itself for the loop. 😃

Secures the lower straps to the plate.

Keeps the inflator in place.

Can anyone explain why the tri glide on the back of the plate,
It seems a bit redundant,

It's not like if you don't use it, it will come out of adjustment, because it's a sharper bend,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220520-000026_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220520-000026_Samsung Internet.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 49
Weave Rubber Friction Pad, between STA and tank to keep it from scratching your cylinders. (And hold tank more securely, of course.) I also use buckle pad for like reasons.
1653019640515.png
🗒️
1653020030375.png

Can anyone explain why the tri glide on the back of the plate,
It seems a bit redundant,

It's not like if you don't use it, it will come out of adjustment, because it's a sharper bend,
This is true, but it's not exactly a lot of bulk so having it and the piece of mind is nice. I've not adjusted my harness for about 6 years now, I suspect it would slip less on that time scale with the tri glide. If tri glides were expensive or heavy/bulky I would leave them out - but they are not.

Secures the lower straps to the plate.

Keeps the inflator in place.
I don't like it that secure. I have a piece of bungee tied in a loop behind the d-ring on the left side and I route just the hose itself through it (not the inflator). This way when you pull up to dump theres a lot more give, but it's still always right where it needs to be.

I use the same bungee the same way with tri glides below each d ring to secure flash lights.

Same bungee for stage bottle, reg necklace, etc. A 50' roll has lasted me years now.

If you enjoy custom bp/w stuff you owe it to yourself to check out the thread(s) on the freedom plate. It's an expensive plate, but oh so much better than any other plate I've used. There's often a bit of a wait list to get one, but sometimes there are some just magically available. I prefer deluxe harness over the hogarthian style and it was a bit of a challenge to rig that up to the freedom plate as it's intended to be used with the hogarthian webbing style that you like.

My freedom plate has an integrated STA and rubber covers (really just a bit of rubber hose with a slit down one side) so there's no concern about damaging the surface on a painted tank.

The freedom plate is exclusively for single tank diving, so if you go to doubles you'll have to use a standard plate or a sidemount bcd.

I'll apologize now for making you want to spend so much on a part with a premium pricetag.

here's where you can "get on the list" For Sale - Official Freedom Plate List: Please respond here.

here's some examples Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

The freedom plate is exclusively for single tank diving, so if you go to doubles you'll have to use a standard plate or a sidemount bcd.

How does it work for double hose regs?
Or is it better off to use a vintage backplate?

I wouldn't expect the bcd to matter much, but I can't answer for certain as I've never used a DH regulator. I'm sure someone will chime in with useful info, as there are an abundance of vintage gear divers on SB.

How does it work for double hose regs?
Or is it better off to use a vintage backplate?

It works fine for me, but I have only used the freedom plate, a standard plate, and the vintage plastic BP. All worked fine, but I'm a make it work kind of guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom