Just got back from a weekend with bp/wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And just to re-iterate my previous post, I'm one of many looking forward to SeaJay's DIR-F report . . . all 12 pages of it! :D

Have a good one, my verbose friend. :wink:

Rick

SeaJay once bubbled...

Hey, thanks, UP...

Yeah, I can't wait for DIR-F. :D

GearHead once bubbled...
And just to re-iterate my previous post, I'm one of many looking forward to SeaJay's DIR-F report . . . all 12 pages of it! :D

Have a good one, my verbose friend. :wink:

Rick

Heheheee... I was waiting for someone to mention that. Man, do I talk a lot! :lol:

Sorry... I just get excited about this subject matter... All of it... The skills, the slow-burn DIR debate, the gear... Even the spirituality of it!

In fact, if I close my eyes right now, I'm back in the Bahamas, on that wall, swimming within a few feet of those blacktip sharks...

:)

Well said Seajay. Most of this I have been saying all along. Perhaps my style is different. Whether we need a separate DIR forum is not the issue. What we need is the ability for someone to ask a question about something other than a BP around here and get some responsive answers to the part of the question they really want to hear about, rather than the "any other alternatives" sweep language, which usually turns out to be a sell job on BP's

raybo once bubbled...
Have set a goal to get in the water at least once amonth.
I'd die!

This past summer returning from Victoria BC through Deception Pass we spent a couple of nights in Coupville on Penn Cove (Whidbey Island)... just happend to be Race Week... we are stinkpotters but still enjoyed watching the ragbaggers chase one another at 6 KTs. :D

Seajay... there are very good reasons for having your backup on a necklace but I won't debate it with you... I want you to see why during your DIRf... then you can come back and promote it enthusiastically. :D

Seajay,

So to those non-DIR people who are a bit cynical and tired of having every topic turn into a DIR debate, remember that real DIR people really don't criticize others.

May I suggest you do some reading of material available on the internet from presumably "real DIR people" such as GI3 and others.

Interesting enough, I occasionally dive with DIR adherents who critisize the leadership for setting a bad example, because they are aware from first hand experience that some prospective divers interested in DIR are turned off by all the vitriol emanating from some real DIR mouths.

Its ironic that myself, along with others who point these issues out and are soundly critisized for it, are the ones who will eventually lead to this realization and cause change for the better, as opposed to the proponents who set and encourage a bad example.

Uncle Pug once bubble...

I'd die!

Well, in about 7-10 years, it's our intention to be someplace where I can get inthe water 5 or six days a wek. (everybody has to have a day off!)

oh...six knots on my little toy is moving right along. If you've not been on one in heavy air, it'll make the ole sphincter tighten right up!

leadweight once bubbled...
What we need is the ability for someone to ask a question about something other than a BP around here
I have an idea for you LW... :idea:

Instead of letting this be a continual source of personal frustration try making a game out of it!

Pick a new topic... one someone else starts or even one you start and keep track of how long it takes for someone to mention BP/wing!

Try some topics that it would really be difficult to get BP/wing into... we will all play along too :D

I don't find this personally frustrating. It helps keep me sharp. Perhaps I need to apply my creative urges differently. Or, do I need a rest?

Scuba once bubbled...
Seajay,

May I suggest you do some reading of material available on the internet from presumably "real DIR people" such as GI3 and others.

Interesting enough, I occasionally dive with DIR adherents who critisize the leadership for setting a bad example, because they are aware from first hand experience that some prospective divers interested in DIR are turned off by all the vitriol emanating from some real DIR mouths.

Its ironic that myself, along with others who point these issues out and are soundly critisized for it, are the ones who will eventually lead to this realization and cause change for the better, as opposed to the proponents who set and encourage a bad example.

Whether we agree with or apologize for GI3 is not relevant. He can do what he wants. Personally, I try not to let the writings of one person interfere with my life all that much.

Why are you so hung up on the tone of one person? Try looking at the system instead of one individual. Point out what is wrong with the system or its goals.

You keep pointing to problems with DIR posters. You have yet to provide any examples or other concrete evidence. The reason is simple. Your claims are willfully and deliberately false. They are intended to advance an agenda in the total absence of fact. You can't argue with the goals of DIR or the way that it acheives them, so you attack personalities and fade away when you fail.

This all comes down to your personal dislike of people who advocate an attitude, philosophy and equipment set that doesn't accept failure or mediocre performance. IMHO, you feel threatened by this because you can't do it. Instead, you argue that you don't need to be quite that good.

What would people think of you based on your posts.;-0

SeaJay, its good to hear that you enjoyed the BP.

FWIW, I had the same problem with the necklace until I changed the hose length. Now the backup sits just below my chin so that I can get to it without using my hands.

I also look forward to reading your DIR-F post. Its tough, but worth it.

leadweight once bubbled...
Or, do I need a rest?
Why don't you take some time off and come up here to dive the PNW... I'll set you up in backplat and wi... Oooops... that didn't take long...

Just pack your own gear and come on up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom