Just got back from a weekend with bp/wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that it's seems very difficult to separate the wheat from the chaf on the matter. That's why I found Seajay's report so enlightening. It was a very staightforward & clear statement of his experience backed with what he actually experienced and observed. That is much more helpful to someone trying to make a purchase decision than just a statment that says"it's the best thing I've ever dove" or "it not applicable to warm water single tank recreational diving". Even if it is just a personal observation/opinion, those kinds of statments do nothing to assist in a decision.

I'm an intelligent person and capable of making that determination for myself. Wasn't it Jack Friday on Dragnet that used to say "Just the facts, ma'am"

I was only introduced to the DIR concepts as a result of these boards, and it seems darn near impossible to carry on a discusion about the matter without it exploding into a controversy. Seems to me that there's lot more to it than what so many of the arguments attempt to boil down to a Bp v Jacket thing.

I see it as substantially more involved than that, with a lot of underlying issues that aren't getting dealt with ~ saftey, knowledge & skill development, buddy responibility ~ as a result.

Just a frustrated deset dweller's observation.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

The anti-DIR trolls would still harass DIR folks and whenever anyone tried to post anything outside of the DIR forum that they considered remotely DIR (bp/wings for example) they would howl that it belonged in the DIR forum.

Agree. KN would have to add a DIR Referee Regulator. Free-for-alls are much more fun :devil:

Phil

MechDiver once bubbled...

Agree. KN would have to add a DIR Referee Regulator. Free-for-alls are much more fun :devil:

Phil
I have seen a lot of claims by various people lately that DIR people have "taken over the board". Why not just create a separate forum for them and just leave the rest of the board as it is? Nobody has suggested that yet, but that would be no different than creating a forum to segregate the DIR crowd.

Just a thought...

I have seen numerous ingenious products and procedures encorporated into DIR and have adopted several. However, I'm stumped on the pull dump. I've cut off the honeycomb waiting for fishing line, etc to catch but I'm concerned about finding and holding this dump during a tasked procedure, eg. OOA with positively bouyant buddy, an up current as Seajay described his companion experienced, or free-flowing drysuit hose (in all of these events, your attitude in the water may require emergency backdump simultaneously with other procedures).

Suggestions? Would the addition of a bungee loop with tiedown insert provide the same problem or possible solution? Replace with a longer, more rigid material easier to grip?

Excellent review and comments from all. It is pleasant to see that reasonable exchange of views can occur on this matter without all the hyperbole that has mared some of these discussions in the past.

Seajay: you might consider a hose routing clip on your lower right D ring to assist long hose routing if you don't opt for a light canister, or are diving any non-BP configuration. This solved the problem for me and it pulls free easily and can be self reset without a problem. I'm puzzled as to why a 6' hose would be suggested to you, like yourself I'm over 6 foot as are most of my buddies...try a single file OOA drill and someone has a mouth full of fin - it's not just cavers/wreck divers that face this...consider a strong current scenario where hand-over-hand rock/mud crawls are called for...looking forward to your DIRF review....

Tinman bubbled...
Seajay: you might consider a hose routing clip on your lower right D ring to assist long hose routing if you don't opt for a light canister, or are diving any non-BP configuration. This solved the problem for me and it pulls free easily and can be self reset without a problem.

At first read, I thought you meant a clip simialr to one for the reg when not in use, but I have to admit I stumbeld over your comment about it self resetting and coming loose easily a bit.

A little more explanation/clarification would be appreciated. I'm looking to get a long hose to use with my back inflate. Don't dive a canster light, and have been mulling over just how to effectively deal with it along my side under the arm.

Thanks in advance

raybo once bubbled...
that it's seems very difficult to separate the wheat from the chaf on the matter.
~~~~~
~~~~~
Just a frustrated deset dweller's observation.
You need to separate the wheat from the chaff... that is just a part of the learning curve... and you need to consider your sources when evaluating information.

Some folks want a scuba magazine gear report to give them a recommendation so they don't have to think... they want to just go out and buy whatever item the reviewer said was best. Never mind that the reviewer is a beginner without a clue! Not saying that this is you... just making the observation that a lot of folks want someone else to do the separating and just give them the wheat.

You want information on DIR? Consider the sources. Folks that have actually trained in DIR with GUE would be good sources. Folks who just read about it last week on the WKPP website are very poor sources. Folks who have an axe to grind against DIR are actually easy to spot and sift out.... the ones who talk like they know what is going on but really don't are where you need to do some careful sifting.

That is what sorting out the wheat from the chaff is all about.

So far as I know the most definitive source of good information on DIR to appear on this board so far has been MHK.

All that said... Raybo, this cannot be learned on the internet. You really need to take at least a DIR fundamentals class to begin to understand why things are done the way they are in DIR.

tinman once bubbled...
However, I'm stumped on the pull dump.
No problem even with thick drygloves... if you practice.

1) Reach back and encircle your dump valve with your thumb and index finger in a big OK.

2) Close the OK.

3) The string is now in your grasp... pull to dump.

I really want to try to get to the DIR-F class that I've heard is trying to be set up here in March. I just hope it doesn't conflict woth one my Sailing Regattas. It's hell having two hobbies like this that I love and having to choose one over the other!

It's not too difficult to tell who's really got something worthwhile to say,and who/what is just dribble. It just gets old wading through it. Guess that's a small price to pay for free speech.

I wouldn't expect to learn it here, but where I live there aren't many divers, so I don't get exposed to this kind of info. The ability to be exposed to this information and freely exchange ideas is a great thing of high value for me.

raybo once bubbled...
I really want to try to get to the DIR-F class that I've heard is trying to be set up here in March.
I'm glad to hear that and hope the class happens. And I hope I didn't come off as implying that nothing of value can be learned on the internet... it is just that this is no substitute for actually getting in the water and seeing what does and what doesn't work and why.

Sailing Regattas in New Mexico???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom