Just got back from a weekend with bp/wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was actually talking more about the fit of the straps and the location/fit of the backplate in relation to what you see in the pictures. (See second row) And regarding your crotch-strap, if it was tighter than the example in picture 8, you probably had it too tight. Thank goodness for softer webbing, huh? :D

SeaJay once bubbled...

My crotchstrap was much more snug-fitting. That guy's crotchstrap appears to be relatively loose, as is evident in picture number two. Also, this guy appears to have a crotchstrap made of the same webbing as the rest of his harness, and the rig that I rented from EE had a crotchstrap made of a much softer material than the rest of the rig. Like the rest of the rig, it was made of black, two-inch webbing, but it was as if the crotchstrap was made of cotton rather than nylon like the rest of the rig. It was very soft, and did not cause any "inner thigh stab" like I've experienced before with wide, stiff crotchstraps. Check out picture one there... See how stiff the material looks? None of that in my rig.

My gear was a bit simpler, too... I was not using a belt-attached cutting tool (BFK pig sticker on my leg), and since there was no canister light, there were a variety of hoses and light heads and such not there. I had a simple bottom timer on my left wrist, and was not using the wrist-mounted compass or professional bottom timer that this guy is wearing. My wing was less than half this guy's size, and I was diving singles, not doubles. I did not have the luxury of thigh pockets.

But the essence of the gear was the same... Same hose configuration, same harness, same concepts... So despite all of the differences, yes, I can say that my rig looked very similar to his... Just without some of the stuff that I wasn't using.

Nice write up SeaJay. Glad you got to try out the BP for yourself.

As far as adjusting the BP goes, once you get it set right, you don't really have to adjust it again.

When I ordered my Pioneer setup from EE over the phone, the guy also recommended an STA. I don't know why they are doing this, the "STA-Less" feature is a main selling point. I've never had a problem with the Pioneer integrated STA. He also suggested a 36lbs wing, I went with the 27lbs wing too...more than enough lift.

Seems like the people at EE are a little confused.

SeaJay,

What guy are you talking about that has his backup reg sittin gin the middle of his chest? The one from the BAUE website? It shouldn't be sitting in the middle of your chest.

Thanks for that post Seajay. It's the first comprhensive objective "review" I've seen on the boards for a BP setiup. May have been others in the past. I didn't go through the archives.

It addresses a lot of the questions I have, and I'm sure a lot of others that aren't familiar with the set-up.

I thinkn the fact that you included those issues you personally prefer in a BC, i.e., a pull dump, that this particular setup lacked, lended a great deal to credibility to your evaluation.

So many of the posts are a simple "it's the greatest thing since sliced bread" or "bane of the underwater world", it was really refreshing to see someone take this subject on in what I percieve to have been a very thoughtful analyisis and evaluation.

Looking forward to your DIR-F class review. Word has it there'll be one locally in a couple of months, and seriously looking at attending it.

Great job!

As the Detractor General of Backplates, I must say that I do not consider BP's to be the bane of the underwater world. I simply feel that they are not as perfect as their advocates say. You can take a BP to the Caribbean and dive Aluminum 80's to your heart's content. My feeling is that a BP is not the best alternative if singles in warm water is your style of diving. For a different style of diving, heavy doubles, they rock. Some divers use doubles regularly and dont want to own a second BC. That is OK, but if you don't dive doubles do you need to fit into their shoe and take up what is the secondary use of their gear as your primary application?

I have a couple of jacket BCs on the rack in my garage as well as a plastic backpack and harness that I could use for single tank diving.

I also have 3 ss backplates, 2 explorer wings and one 27# Halcyon Pioneer singles wing.

When I go single tank diving... I use the best.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
I have a couple of jacket BCs on the rack in my garage as well as a plastic backpack and harness that I could use for single tank diving.

I also have 3 ss backplates, 2 explorer wings and one 27# Halcyon Pioneer singles wing.

When I go single tank diving... I use the best.

That would be the HUB :confused: :boom:

Is there ever going to be a DIR forum? Even us (offcially) non-DIR types would like a place we can go to have an intelligent discussion on these things without it always turning into the oversimliified "I don't think it's right because I don't dive that way!"

I would hope that I would never be so presumptuous to think that anyone else should follow my thoughts as being the "best" or "right" way to do anything, I'll put my two cents in, and let everyone decide for themselves what is best for them, or if its a team effort, for the group.

If asked, I would say this thread has been the best one (most informative for me anyway) I've seen so far in my short time on the boards.

There's a lot of really good information to be shared, and IMHO, too many times the good stuff gets drug through the mud and buried when someone comes along and posts an antagonistic retort or opinion that in many cases has been both unsolicited and off topic.

Of course, having a separate forum would only work if both sides could agree to have the courtesy not to continue to bully pulpit the other. That's probably a bit too much to ask for, huh?

Oh, well. Just wishful thinking <frustrated sigh>

raybo once bubbled...
Is there ever going to be a DIR forum?
At least I hope not.

The anti-DIR trolls would still harass DIR folks and whenever anyone tried to post anything outside of the DIR forum that they considered remotely DIR (bp/wings for example) they would howl that it belonged in the DIR forum.

I see it as an attempt by some to segregate the DIR folks and keep anyone reading the Buoyancy Compensator forum from finding out about bp/wings. :wink:

That is just my opinion though.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

At least I hope not.

The anti-DIR trolls would still harass DIR folks and whenever anyone tried to post anything outside of the DIR forum that they considered remotely DIR (bp/wings for example) they would howl that it belonged in the DIR forum.

I see it as an attempt by some to segregate the DIR folks and keep anyone reading the Buoyancy Compensator forum from finding out about bp/wings. :wink:

That is just my opinion though.

Yep!!!

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom