Ice Diving tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seeing as how this is the PADI ice course, there will definitely be more than one person in the water (although I don't believe it needs to be an instructor on any dive, just a current DM or above) and it can get quite dark depending on snow cover, so a light is a good idea. Just because someone tells you conditions are "usually" one way, doesn't mean you should ignore being prepared for them to be otherwise.
Using the lights to signal presumes that the other divers know what light signals are - since the night diving course is not a prerequisite for the ice course I suggest not making that assumption. And just because you tell the other divers what the light signals are shortly before jumping in the water does not mean they will retain them when under the ice (they likely have enough on their minds and enough stresses already).
Have fun, this is a great course to take.

Two small lights are best as if one fails the other is a back up. Just like cavern. One other thing is to make sure you have a readily availabe shelter close to the hole, like a tent or perhaps a motorhome or camper truck. One of the real dangers in Ice Diving is that there is no place to quickly remove the wet gear and rewarm. The surface tenders should have a barrier wall built to protect them from the winds. You can do this by just piling up snow and using the water from the hole to freeze it into a wall. This clearing away the snow from the area of the hole allows for better hole identification light and shape.You can also set a tent up over the hole, have pallets for flooring with a heavy carpet and lights, like this you can get heat going into the tent and relax inbetween dives. Your surface team will keep the hole clear from ice reforming and monitor/man lines. AND If they are really good they will have some Moose Milk (a tradition) for you when you finish your dives...........
(warm Dark Rum with Eggnog (or cream)OOOoooooo!!)

Marvintpa:
Seeing as how this is the PADI ice course, there will definitely be more than one person in the water (although I don't believe it needs to be an instructor on any dive, just a current DM or above) and it can get quite dark depending on snow cover, so a light is a good idea. Just because someone tells you conditions are "usually" one way, doesn't mean you should ignore being prepared for them to be otherwise.
Using the lights to signal presumes that the other divers know what light signals are - since the night diving course is not a prerequisite for the ice course I suggest not making that assumption. And just because you tell the other divers what the light signals are shortly before jumping in the water does not mean they will retain them when under the ice (they likely have enough on their minds and enough stresses already).
Have fun, this is a great course to take.

The first dive must be done with an Ice diving instructor.

VTernovski:
Will be doing PADI ice diving specialty next weekend in upsate NY...

I will be diving single tank and a pony (rigged as stage bottle). Instructor mentioned to remove octipus from the first stage all-togather... I have Apeks ATX-200 regulator with ATX-40 octo. Should I follow his suggestions and plug the octo?

Also, he mentioned not to bring the lights as it's usually bright enough and won't be nessesary... any thoughts on that?

As noted by others, as long as you and your buddy are familiar with stage diving, i think its a good idea. It removes one potential source of freeflow that you don't need if your using stages for an alternate air source.

One hint, once your second stages hit the water, keep them in the water. Otherwise if its below freezing outside, you have a great chance of second stage freeflow.

Also, your line harness will probably connect your line somewhere in you chest area. Make sure your comfortable with that in relation to your stage. Thats a possible CF if your not familiar with line handling while stage diving.

Have fun and enjoy the vis!

gedunk:
As noted by others, as long as you and your buddy are familiar with stage diving, i think its a good idea. It removes one potential source of freeflow that you don't need if your using stages for an alternate air source.

One hint, once your second stages hit the water, keep them in the water. Otherwise if its below freezing outside, you have a great chance of second stage freeflow.

Also, your line harness will probably connect your line somewhere in you chest area. Make sure your comfortable with that in relation to your stage. Thats a possible CF if your not familiar with line handling while stage diving.

Have fun and enjoy the vis!

Ah yes so very true

GDI:
Ah yes so very true

If you are diving a drysuit make certain you can reach the inflator
on the suit. I've worn harnesses that placed the "tie in" right over
it and I had to reach under the harness.

Green_Manelishi:
If you are diving a drysuit make certain you can reach the inflator
on the suit. I've worn harnesses that placed the "tie in" right over
it and I had to reach under the harness.

Wow look at the tips coming in. This a good point as well. Also watch that the harness doesn't cause your drysuit to inflate if it is tugged by the line tender or if it gets caught and pulled. It may be best to have the harness secured at two points, One at the waist or crotch strap and the other where it is out of the way of other rigging and hoses. And on your line if your line doesn't float naturally you may want to have float balls along its length. these keep the line off the bottom and if you move near the surface they help prevent snagging on any ice spurs. Finning with a tether line may feel awkward at first ( a off balance sensation) just move slow and steady

I'm not certain if I would like to learn ice diving or not. GDI you seem to have a liking for it considering you live in Florida

Back
Top Bottom