I'll tell em to Yank your C-card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought GUE only "yanked" cards for people who weren't doing enough dives at their certification level over a specific period of time (i.e. you must do X number of dives at Tech/Cave Y level over Z years, or you will no longer be certified/qualified to do such dives and must take the class again).

Can they pull cards for any other reason? If you're doing the required number of dives at your level, do they issue another card (that's not expired)?

I was told by my instructor that they could choose not to renew my card if it was deemed that I had negative reports in my file for actions going against my training. For instance, if I was observed (and it was documented that I was) smoking 8 packs of cigarettes a day and solo diving with air to 200 ft. all the time, they might not choose to renew my card(s). However, I don't know how frequently this stuff happens as it would require people to be reporting into HQ on you. I have heard of instructors not passing a student in a class for smoking.

I only heard it mentioned one time we were on a family vacation to cozumel (around 1998), we were not divers at the time but my brother in laws were giving some "self instruction" :D to their college girlfriends they had brought with them and letting them try out their gear in the resorts pool. The dive shop affiliated with the resort had a cat and wouldnt give them back their c-cards (here they had to leave them until they returned the tanks) they talked a lot of "citizen arrest talk" about "writing a really nasty letter" to their certification agency (I think theirs was YMCA),, of course the resort dive shop only cared about not getting a cut from teaching their own class so they gave the dive shop a healthy tip and got their cards back...

I wish they would have called their bluff but they were pretty young and wanted to dive the next day so IMO they sort of got hassled..

I wish they would have called their bluff but they were pretty young and wanted to dive the next day so IMO they sort of got hassled..

Well, being young I'm sure they deflated the tires on all the dive shop's cars and stole a bunch of hotel soap when they left, so we can call it even :D

Overall I do recall they had a much better trip than me,the wife, and the 2 year old..

Umm... yeah they can yank your c-card if you dive like an idiot, (i dont want bodies washing up all around me). Seriously though you dont need a c-card. There is no law about having one its just through insurance regulations and fear of being sued. If you have a c-card and die with an air fill from some shop then your family can try to sue the shop. The certification just says you know what your doing and made it through the instructors class safely. Now the thing you might be able to go after would be the instructor but if they have lots of good students that dive safely and have records showing that they obviously are a competant instructor the lawsuit wont stand up. C-Cards are to prevent LDS from getting sued as easily, charters from getting sued as easily and parks Other than that they do nothing special

I'm just curious but if you were to not give up your C-Card after it was revoked by whatever agency, would they send some sort of SCUBA SWAT team to your dive spot and force you to relinquish the card? What sort of speargun would they use to enforce their "point" so to speak? Riffe or JBL?

I think I saw one of the posts that led to your question, a story in which a passing instructor saw a diver going solo and demanded his card.

Well, that guy was completely full of it. In that case, he didn't even care what the certification agency was--he seemed to think he had the right to pull anyone's card.

I will speak for PADI. There is not a word in the PADI standards and procedures that even hints that a C-card can be revoked once it has been earned.

If PADI changes their mind can I put a couple of names on the list? I have one in mind right now.....lol

Umm... yeah they can yank your c-card if you dive like an idiot, (i dont want bodies washing up all around me). Seriously though you dont need a c-card. There is no law about having one its just through insurance regulations and fear of being sued. If you have a c-card and die with an air fill from some shop then your family can try to sue the shop. The certification just says you know what your doing and made it through the instructors class safely. Now the thing you might be able to go after would be the instructor but if they have lots of good students that dive safely and have records showing that they obviously are a competant instructor the lawsuit wont stand up. C-Cards are to prevent LDS from getting sued as easily, charters from getting sued as easily and parks Other than that they do nothing special
No, they can't yank your card- If you would like proof feel free to try to take mine.

By the way- let your family or lawyer know what county you'll be in when you try- that way they will know which jail to bail you out of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom