I'm going to quit smoking!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when I quit (failed attempt) last year, how I survived the car trips, and I make about 1 a month from Phoenix to Socal (12 hours RT), was I got 1 of my daughter's drumsticks and banged away with that thing to the music on the steering wheel, visor, whatever, got pretty good at the spinning it in my fingers trick :D You can pick up a cheap pair lots of places like toys-r-us, I eventually kept one in the car and one in the house. Music shops will be more expensive. Straws, toothbrushes and toothpicks helped me in the past as well. The patches along with Xyban (use together) has worked with successful results for several of my family members.

I'll be joining you on the 3rd. Best wishes!

-Garrett

I quit quite a while ago...here are some things to boost your chances at success.

Use the patch. It works. If necessary, use two rounds. Do the full patch, then the second (lesser nicotine) patch, then the weening patch (the least nicotine) then go back to the second level. Do the complete second level and then the weening patch again. That seems to work very well. By that time, you should have broken all the triggers that lead to picking up the pack.

While you are doing this, BREAK all the patterns you associate with smoking. If ou smoke while on the computer, watch TV. If you smoke while driving, don't drive. If you smoke with coffee...switch to tea. You get the idea.

Now, this is important, during the last bit, once you have gone through steps 2 and 3 the second time, begin adding back the things you gave up, such as driving, computer, etc.

These is a practical strategy that seems to work.

Whenever you want to light up, come here and tell us how you are doing...unless, of course, you used to smoke while posting to ScubaBoard.

Good luck.

Jeff

Also if you decide you'd like to try Xyban; which from my understanding is essentially a very mild anti-depressant (but check with your doc), check with your insurance first. Mine would not cover Xyban for quitting smoking (go figure?) but cover it under it's other name Wellbutrin for depression. so have your doc write your script so it's covered, they are the exact same thing.

-Garrett

Congrats on a good job so far hlcdlc. Great for you almity wife.
I dont't smoke but I dip smokeless tobacco. I'm quiting jan 1, 2006

jtoorish:
...unless, of course, you used to smoke while posting to ScubaBoard.

Good luck.

Jeff

Lucky, I never smoked in my house. So as long as I can stay on the computer and dont go outside, I should be ok!!

I was gonna go for a walk, but I know that being outside is gonna make me wanna smoke (because I have always smoked outside)

fmw625:
Congrats on a good job so far hlcdlc. Great for you almity wife.
I dont't smoke but I dip smokeless tobacco. I'm quiting jan 1, 2006

Jan 1, 2007 :D

My secret was pickles. You see, my girlfriend is absolutely repulsed by pickles. She dry heaves if she smells one. So she agreed to eat a pickle for every day I didn't have a cigarette for a month. So why would I deprive myself the joy of watching her gag down a pickle for a lousy cigarette?

I quit cold turkey on Jan. 1, 2006 and haven't had a cigarette since. :)

Wow! Congratulations!

I like the idea of the reward jar and that you will get a BP/W with the money you save. If you really stick to that, you will be able to get way more than that in a short amount of time.

The real reward, of course, is better health. But it's more fun to buy stuff!

By the way, check in with us and tell us how it's going.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom