I'm going to quit smoking!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for better living through chemistry -- I'm using both Zyban and the patch.
For me Zyban works in an interesting way -- it pretty much deadened the taste of cigarettes right away (within a day or so of starting it, prior to actually quitting).
The jitters, quick urges for a smoke, did go away after a couple of days. Basic non-sugar hard candy, and carrot sticks, worked for that (they only last a few minutes).
(I just recently quit.)
Good luck!

a massive applause to everyone giving up the deadly weed!!

use whatever (healthy alternative) you can to achieve this... you can do it!!!

and remember to reward yourself for doing so well

:wave-smil :wave-smil

First of, let me say congratulations to everyone that said they have quit!!! I now know how much of a pain in the ***** this is to do. I am on day 3 now (almost done with day 3) and so far, good.

I do have a question though for those of you who have quit by using the patch. Did you go through the whole patch process? Or just use the patch for a few days? I'm just trying to see if I could save a few $$ and start adding to the bp/w fund sooner :D. There is 3 parts to the patch. Level 3, level 2, then level 1. And at about $30 per level, I am wondering if I should do just one level then see how I feel, or just go ahead and get the level 2 before I even finish the level 3. Same with level 1(levels are in reverse order, steping down from higher levels)

Anyways, thanks alot for everyones stories of success and words of wisdom! And i am sure that there is more for me to say, but I just woke up from a nap and am kinda having a brain-dead, staring THROUGH the monitor and cant type moment right now.

keep going DHamp!!!

my sister in law gave up about 2 months ago with the patches... she said they really got her over the edge

they're not cheap, but neither is a few packs of ciggys for the week

she was telling me on christmas day - for the first time she feels that she has the right to tell her children not to smoke and she reminds them often how stupid (her words) she was to start (shes been smoking close to 20yrs)... hopefully it will sink in... of the 5 nephews & 1 neice i haev, only 1 smokes thankfully and maybe one day he will learn also

Personally, I'm doing all 3 levels. The patches aren't cheap (unless you work for a company with a smoking cessation program -- then they are free :) ), but less costly than the cigarettes they're replacing.
Best I can tell it's an "honest" addiction -- physical, not just a lack of willpower. The patches allow for a cleaner withdrawal, help increase the overall likelihood of success.
http://www.nida.nih.gov/researchreports/nicotine/nicotine.html

I am doing the patch and my g/f is using nothing to help her quit. Shes as afraid of the patch as I am of pills! (refer back to post 7)

And I can see a difference in how I am just chewing the heck out of gum and trying to stay busy. While she on the other hand is yelling at me for typing to loud, for chewing to loud, for being to "happy" about quiting, etc.... :D

So yea, I am convinced that the patch works!

the patch is great for putting nicotine into the system and taking off that edge ... i am like your gf (my wife was begging me to start smoking again when i tried no patch)

i went through ten weeks with the patch (i think that was4 weeks level 1, 4 weeks level 2, and 2 weeks level 3), and all the while i was smoking herbal cigarettes.

after a few weeks without the patch, i quit the herbal cigarettes and went to Altoids.

that worked for me.

congratulations, I'm 9 years now without one. I still tell myself, sometimes outloud, that I'm not going to have the first one.

pir8:
I still tell myself, sometimes outloud, that I'm not going to have the first one.

oh, that is deadly ...

"just one" will have you back smoking before you can say "is that DIR?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom