In defense of "insta", and even "bad" buddies..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say too that I brought up a lot of what I've done only after being challenged about it, especially earlier in this thread. There are quite a few folks on the board I've been diving with and they know my skill level. As you do Frank, I hate condescending attitudes from people who don't have any clue about my skills and that is when I bring it up.

Thanks for clarifying that Charlie. I agree that is is very satisfying to see a new divers wonder in their eyes when they get back on the boat. They usually can't stop smiling! It does bring you back to the first time you dove that site too.

nolatom:
Okay, I didn't mean to start a tiff but maybe it was useful. Dennis, at 10 minutes with an incompetent buddy, I'd thumb the dive, no choice really. Hasn't happened yet. And I agree with OE2X above about the dives you pay extra for and which are deeper or more challenging maybe not being the ideal pickup buddy dive. But I buddied with a newbie for a deepish dive, his first ocean dive, first boat dive. But the interview allayed some of my fears and turned out he did fine..went to 100' on his first blue water dive and loved it. Good experience for me, too. Maybe I've just been fortunate.

I agree nolatom but depending on his level of incompetence I've just continued the dive and tried to help with the problem. If it is buoyancy i can help by adding or taking air out of their BC. If it is trim, I can hold onto them and keep them in a good position so they know how it should feel. If they are just plain scared, you can tell by their eyes, then I can take them shallower and stay above the rest of the group.
Now that I think about it I should have qualified my earlier statements by adding the words "on holiday". At home I do dive with newbies and divers who are just a bit rusty too.

RikRaeder:
As a new diver and potential insta-buddy, I have to say; after reading various and sundry threads which reference IBs, I dread running into an experienced diver with a bad attitude. I've seen many entries from seemingly quite predjudiced divers and a few from seemingly open-minded divers. Many more from the former than the latter.

The last thing I need as I'm working on my skills is to be interrogated, judged, and perhaps then patronized before getting in the water. My adrenaline still courses as I prepare my gear, sometimes I flub it on assembly or donning (but manage to self-correct if given a few moments). When I enter the water it takes me some time to get my head right and settle into my training. It's an exhilerating experience. My skill set is adequate for now, but I'm trying to improve it.

Believe it or not, people who are experienced at something and know what they're doing usually inspire admiration and respect from those who are still learning. We observe and emulate you. Like it or not, if you are more experienced at something, most less-experienced people will look to you for leadership. It's human nature. Please bear that in mind when "interviewing" IBs. Some friendly, casual questions are natural however over-asserting your experience could intimidate a newbie and make them less than honest in an attempt to be "good enough."

Diving seems to me a sport where relaxation, both physical and mental, is key. Additional pressure from worrying about slowing someone down, not measuring up to their expectations, or ruining their dive certainly can't help one to dive at peak proficiency let alone improve.

Most of the comments regarding IBs that I've seen on Scubaboard make me hope that I will never, ever run into those who have posted them. As I mentioned, a few (notably on this thread, but on others as well) give me some hope that I may indeed be able to have a more positive experience if/when it's my turn to be the new guy IB.

If incompetant IBs are such a problem, couldn't one approach the DM and explain the problem and negotiate some appropriate resolution? If unqualified divers need too much handholding isn't this an issue with the diving professionals who take their money and throw them into the deep end?

Of course I'd be honest about my skills with anyone who asks. Lying to others is the same as lying to yourself. I'd try, to the best of my abilities, to keep up with a more experienced buddy and not to lessen their experience. I'd certainly not hesitate to ask for help if I knew, with my limited experience, that I was heading for trouble.

I'm sure that there are incompetant, uncaring and dangerous newbie IBs out there. From what I've read, I wonder if there aren't plenty of experienced IBs with the same qualities. Such are my scattered thoughts on this subject. If reading this makes you feel defensive and reactive perhaps you should honestly consider which type of experienced IB you are. You may react, defend, and flame at will. I've nothing more to say here.:10:

No need to flame here, well put. I would dive with you anytime. I like the being honest about your skills part, if you are honest about that almost anyone would dive with you. And you're right about some "experienced" IBs. They can be, in my opinion, harder to deal with because they won't listen to constructive criticism because they have X number of dives and they know it all already.
Like Frank said, we are all learning, it's just the curve flattens out a bit the more you dive.

OE2X:
It is unfortunate that we can't always bring our trusted buddies on all of our dives.

I have the tendency to only dive with people I don't know in places where the stakes aren't high and where I can spend plenty of time shallow so that I can still enjoy the dive.

If I'm going to spend a great deal of money to get to a site, I want to be with people that embody a similar skill set as my own. There are certain dives I will no longer do with an insta buddy. It just isn't worth it any more.

Thanks OEX2. I agree completely. I know you dive in a lot of places that are far away too, I think we are both on the same page here.

I'm a relatively new diver myself, and my newly certified wife,( dive certified, we've been married 16 yrs). will be my dive buddy. we will only dive our comfort-zone.
I do agree, however, if diving with a 'pick-up' dive buddy, you should try to establish a dive plan that you both are comfortable with.
If you have less than 100 dives, a buddy with more than 500 dives would not be a good choice for either of you, it has the potential of being a distraction for you both with this great discrepancy of experience. It would be nice if the dive opperator would pair you up better, based on experience.
But you should always rember "PLAN YOUR DIVE, DIVE YOUR PLAN"

I'm a fairly newbee diver. But I've dove with many less experienced and more experienced divers, some of whom were pick-up buddies I had just met. Throuhg conversation while getting gear ready and donning you can figure out if your a good buddy team or not (I've nevre had a not) and firgure out what you're interested in doin that dive.

Now, I do do most of my diving from shore and generally locally (< 2 hour drive) but the dive could be expected to go up to 110 fsw and end up just check out the rocks along the shore. It's stll a dive and it's still fun. Just think would I call the dive if it was cloudy, a bit of a lop, raining. No plans just change a little. If you don't bring a ready buddy with you accept the buddy you get with genuine happiness or get a solo card.

Sue

h2odragon1:
I'm a relatively new diver myself, and my newly certified wife.

If you have less than 100 dives, a buddy with more than 500 dives would not be a good choice for either of you, it has the potential of being a distraction for you both with this great discrepancy of experience.
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. I have done just over 500 dives and most of the time my preferred profile and dive plan is just fine for any diver. I might think less about the mechanics of diving, may see more details of the marine life and their interaction, but my normal dive style of wandering along the reef enjoying the day suits any level of diver.

Now putting a photographer doing macro photography together with someone who wants to swim high speed around the reef is a real mismatch; but that's a mismatch of intentions, not experience or skill levels.

I agree Charlie. I take pictures most of the time and I like to meander around the reef, usually not deeper than 80', if we are not diving wrecks. Sometimes I do a little more extreme diving but I'm like Charlie, most of the marine life is no deeper than 60' usually so that's where I like to take pictures and you can have much longer dives.
I've never been a reef racer, I do see this quite a bit and you miss so much. Sometimes I could spend 20 minutes watching a square meter of coral.

OE2X:
It is unfortunate that we can't always bring our trusted buddies on all of our dives.

I do, she's number 1 buddy and wife. When I've got gear on, so does she. If she's not interested in diving that day, I work on my tan.

At least for now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom