Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PAShark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and another couple are going to Indonesia (or perhaps the Phillapines (sp?)) in February 2012 for 2-3 weeks. We've been to Tulamben (Bali), Bunaken, Lembah Strait (a must see - absolutely amazing critters) and on the Pelagian. We'll probably do Lembah Strait again and something else new. Wakatobi is an obvious choice but expensive. Comments on Raja Ampat, Alor and the Phillapines would be appreciated.

One pairing with Lembeh that is more affordable than Raja Ampat is Halmahera.

I've not been yet, but plan to check it out the next time I visit Lembeh.

Weda Resort Halmahera is accessed through Divers Lodge Lembeh. It is near Ternate.

Maluku Divers Resort in Ambon has great muck diving. Fly from Makasaar.

Just a few suggestions on Philippines.
Donsol: Feb to May, swimming with the whaleshark.
Malapascua for the thrasher shark.
Tubbataha is the best in the country but ONLY on liveaboard(limited period).

Raja Ampat is the ultimate prize. It doesn't matter if you like macro or pelagic. These place have them all.

Raja Ampat is the ultimate prize. It doesn't matter if you like macro or pelagic. These place have them all.

If you're big on pelagics and don't care about anything else, you are probably better off going to Komodo rather than Raja Ampat. But yes, Raja Ampat does have great pristine reef scenery and great macro opportunities.

Can't say you will see much in the way of large pelagics in Raja. Lots of schooling fish at some sites but a shark is rare. In 70 dives over two trips I think I saw two smallish sharks. Good number of mantas and we did see a pod of whales on the surface. Lots of macro opportunities, Soft and hard coral that is amazing to see.

If you go to Raj Ampat have a look at Damai liveaboard.

How was Pelagian?

If you were ready to go outside Indonesia (Philippines for example, no "a" :wink: ) after Lembeh, aren't you tempted with Sipadan, Malaysian Borneo?

It would be a change from critter diving in Lembeh : Sipadan provides blue water diving with lots of pelagic and fish schools ops, more than many indonesian spots, except maybe Komodo, which was already mentioned, the problem being that february isn't the best season for the northern blue water sites of Komodo.

I like the Philippines a lot but it's mostly nice corals and small critters, there are a few exceptions in Malapascua for threshers & mantas and South Leyte for whale sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom