Inline CO Monitors in Sharm El Sheikh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not exactly true. The legal maximums allowed in scuba air...

Im well aware of the legal maximums. My comment was simply that outside a few paranoid areas like the US you're unlikely to find a single inline analyser or anyone bringing their own. Its simply not done or in reality needed. Yes there is the odd incident but thats a tiny tiny tiny part of a single percentage point. You'd need to be very paranoid to carry one of those around with you and is even less likely to find any centre with an inline monitor.

Im well aware of the legal maximums. My comment was simply that outside a few paranoid areas like the US you're unlikely to find a single inline analyser or anyone bringing their own. Its simply not done or in reality needed. Yes there is the odd incident but thats a tiny tiny tiny part of a single percentage point. You'd need to be very paranoid to carry one of those around with you and is even less likely to find any centre with an inline monitor.
When Padi required quarterly tests and some centers did them, 3% failed - a significant portion of those by large amounts. Safe...?

DAN admits that they have no idea how many drownings were caused by CO poisoning as the required testing is seldom done at many destinations and even if it is done - the findings are easy to hide in many countries to protect tourism.

Simply put, if you don't test - you do not know, just diving on hope. Inline units are $600+ USD plus frieght and shipping but the total costs spread out over the life of filling tanks is pennies/tank - not many pennies at that.

Paranoid huh?

The scuba sport & industry was certainly developed before SPGs, Octs, computers, and more recent developments of low cost, easy to use personal CO testers, so much of the industry is still stuck in bad habits with regard to air quality. And with many Instructors hiding their heads, resolving this unneeded risk is challenging.

True, the actual known body count for scuba deaths is relatively low so CO deaths must be lower than that, so if that's good enough for you - cool. I'll keep wearing safety belts in moving vehicles, float vests in moving boats, and testing my tanks before I take them to depth. The inconveniences are small and the uncommon negative results are great.

When Padi required quarterly tests and some centers did them, 3% failed - a significant portion of those by large amounts. Safe...?

Where are the incidents?

DAN admits that they have no idea how many drownings were caused by CO poisoning

Maybe they don't but its something a post-mortum can uncover relatively easily. And the relevant HSE authorities of the country will then release a bulletin. Again, where are the incidents?

as the required testing is seldom done at many destinations and even if it is done - the findings are easy to hide in many countries to protect tourism.

Where are the incidents?

Simply put, if you don't test - you do not know, just diving on hope.

How many people analyse their air fills for O2 content? Just about none. And that does kill more people than any potential contaminated fill.

Inline units are $600+ USD plus frieght and shipping but the total costs spread out over the life of filling tanks is pennies/tank - not many pennies at that.

Its a lot of money to satisfy paranoia but if you have money to burn why not. Just don't expect others to waste their money on the same.

And with many Instructors hiding their heads, resolving this unneeded risk is challenging.

So where are the incidents?

I'll keep wearing safety belts in moving vehicles, float vests in moving boats,

Unlike the CO claim there are real statistics backing up real incidents and a proven risk reduction benefit for that.

Where are the incidents?

Maybe they don't but its something a post-mortum can uncover relatively easily. And the relevant HSE authorities of the country will then release a bulletin. Again, where are the incidents?

Where are the incidents?

How many people analyse their air fills for O2 content? Just about none. And that does kill more people than any potential contaminated fill.

Its a lot of money to satisfy paranoia but if you have money to burn why not. Just don't expect others to waste their money on the same.

So where are the incidents?

Unlike the CO claim there are real statistics backing up real incidents and a proven risk reduction benefit for that.
Paranoia and fear do generate sales.

Real incidents have all too easy to hide, but that's changing with economical technology. Sorry you don't want to help with the solution. You people don't want you air tested, fine; what are you going to do when someone does?

Real incidents have all too easy to hide,

Easy claim to make but where is the proof you have to back up this unsubstantiated claim? Real facts, figures and evidence not just an unverifiable comment made by one person on the internet.

what are you going to do when someone does?

Nobody is going to stop someone testing their own air if they bring their own gear to do so. Hell they can gas chromatograph the stuff if they're bored enough.

However i highly doubt i'll ever meet anyone diving anywhere that insists on testing for CO and even less chance of finding someone demanding an inline check. Its an internet hysteria thing born out of one board with no evidence to substantiate it. Things like this get a life of their own online but like most never materialise in the real world.

As said above though, fear and paranoia are great marketing tools.

Hidden heads don't see much of course, but when spot tests show 17 ppm and you have to turn a boat around, it's different. The new Analox portable tester will be easier to use and more affordable than previous models so more divers can enjoy peace of mind better than what ones can get from an Operator or Instructor that claims paranoia.

Times will still change tho. One liveaboard finally installed a Clear Inline monitor and now the main station on Cozumel is adding them to 5 compressors so some competitors will have to follow. Fortunately the improvements are not at all costly for responsible Operators spread out over thousand of fills; only to leading divers to acquire the portable units.

The Middle East can drag behind probly as you've got your own niche there, unless some leading Op changes and puts others on notice. I imagine it and the Far East will always be areas where one will need to pack their own tester tho.

Real incidents have all too easy to hide, but that's changing with economical technology. Sorry you don't want to help with the solution. You people don't want you air tested, fine; what are you going to do when someone does?

I have read the conspiracy theory theme here, before. So, are you telling us that there are real incidents but they have All been covered up? Or enough that it is a huge problem?
I maintain my system and have all the air quality checks done on time, every time. This is not a hidden head, it's a thinking one. One who can think for herself.

Anyone can test the air in their tank any time they like. Sell them their sensor...
Just out of curiosity, Don, do you work for or have an investment in this?

Anyone can test the air in their tank any time they like. Sell them their sensor...
Just out of curiosity, Don, do you work for or have an investment in this?

Judging by his avatar and signature line, I'm guessing he does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom