Inline CO Monitors in Sharm El Sheikh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hidden heads don't see much of course,

OK stop avoiding it. I'll ask directly. Refer me to these incident reports that back up your claim or stop making unsubstantiated claims. If its a real problem there WILL be incidents and world wide - not just the third world countries. Lets see some hard facts here.

One liveaboard finally installed a Clear Inline monitor and now the main station on Cozumel is adding them to 5 compressors so some competitors will have to follow.

Why would it have to follow. Its a dive operation right next to the USA where this particular paranoia originates. And one company. One company spending some money to satisfy the paranoid few that go through its doors is a lot different to starting an industry trend. Again, if there were real incidents to back up your statement that this is a threat then fair enough but where are these incidents? Lets have some details.

The Middle East can drag behind probly as you've got your own niche there,

Why just the middle east ? Not heard of the place called "europe" that has strict health and safety rules and guidelines yet has no problem with this? Or that continent called "Australia"? Both decidedly first world with extremely strict HSE regimes yet none of the countries involved have identified any problem or need. Or in fact russia, or anywhere in africa, or anywhere in asia. Countries who rely on tourism money from diving who if people were dying would be forced to do something about it.
More likely these places are being sensible and refusing to buy in to the unsubstantiated claims of a paranoid few who are a completely insignificant part of a market. If there is a need or reason for spending money it will be spent. If there is a legitimate H&S need it will be spend. Not one country in the world INCLUDING the USA has identified this as a problem.
The CO monitor phenomenon is isolated to less than a handful of people on one small internet forum and thats it. Its not a real world issue.

I have read the conspiracy theory theme here, before. So, are you telling us that there are real incidents but they have All been covered up? Or enough that it is a huge problem?
I maintain my system and have all the air quality checks done on time, every time. This is not a hidden head, it's a thinking one. One who can think for herself.

Anyone can test the air in their tank any time they like. Sell them their sensor...
Just out of curiosity, Don, do you work for or have an investment in this?
Work for? Ha! If that were the case, I'm sure that I'd be in trouble for not being diplomatic. The only investment I have in this is the money I spent on my first tester, to be followed by the purchase of a different brand when it's soon available. No, I don't sell them either.

Yes, there are real incidents, some of which are covered up we know, many of which probly hidden before we can. I never suggested a conspiracy, don't know where you heard that idea, but it's not much of a leap for details of accidents to be suppressed to protect the local tourism in some destinations.
A Cocoview accident was well suppressed. Some made it sound like the DM died trying to save the Texas diver and the widow's settlement including keeping quiet so it's very difficult to find info on that one.

A Maldives accident was suppressed but one of the survivors made it public here which prevented it from being hidden. That the Operator sued Scubaboard really blew her cover.

A Cozumel accident early this year was suppressed enough that all you can find is the thread on SB by a survivor. Well, the well established Op with his own compressor lost the diving franchise for that resort. I actually talked with that owner before he went quiet and he seemingly had the same approach as you: Maintaining the compressor, changing the filters, naively thinking that's all it took - never testing.

Those are examples we know about. It's just too easy for the others to get written off as drownings so we never know.​
You're not interested in an inline monitor I take it. So get the tank tester then; it's cheap. Test tanks that are filled after the compressor has worked its hardest & hottest, if you want to know how good your efforts are working.
Judging by his avatar and signature line, I'm guessing he does.
Bad guess. I do greatly appreciate that Analox developed the product specifically for dive customer needs, but I would be glad to give an interested diver choices on a three other models. The only one cheaper tho is the Pocket CO, which works well but is a bit of a hassle and takes at least 3 minutes per tank.
OK stop avoiding it. I'll ask directly. Refer me to these incident reports that back up your claim or stop making unsubstantiated claims. If its a real problem there WILL be incidents and world wide - not just the third world countries. Lets see some hard facts here.
See above. But with low cost tank testers going out with more and more divers, some reporting back here, we'll know more in months to come. Tanks will be tested more and more by divers even if the Ops don't care enough, at the worst after incidents and accidents. Last February in Roatan I was only checking my own tank as it did take 3 minutes and the highest readings I got were 5 ppm so I didn't make a big deal about it. My roomie kept feeling ill after diving so I did check one of his but that wasn't his problem; there are many reasons a person can feel ill in Roatan of course, especially on his first dive trip, but you don't know if it could be tank air unless you test.
Why would it have to follow. Its a dive operation right next to the USA where this particular paranoia originates. And one company. One company spending some money to satisfy the paranoid few that go through its doors is a lot different to starting an industry trend. Again, if there were real incidents to back up your statement that this is a threat then fair enough but where are these incidents? Lets have some details.
Several real incidents there actually. Different compressors than the above story, but there were several bad tank tests by different members here. That compressor owner still didn't want to do anything as he has control of fills for most of the island so it took more. I actually got to read the background story on that one; interesting on how things get accomplished at times.
Why just the middle east ? Not heard of the place called "europe" that has strict health and safety rules and guidelines yet has no problem with this? Or that continent called "Australia"? Both decidedly first world with extremely strict HSE regimes yet none of the countries involved have identified any problem or need. Or in fact russia, or anywhere in africa, or anywhere in asia. Countries who rely on tourism money from diving who if people were dying would be forced to do something about it.
Ah Australia and much of Europe does have strict rules and possible repercussions. There was still an incident in Australia this year, described on the Analox page. The others are more removed from our knowledge here so we'd not know what's happening in them, all the more reason for the prudent diver to carry his own tester and test tanks.

Funny thing: When a diver does find a significant reading, it's difficult to find anyone around who cares. Difficult to change old habits.
More likely these places are being sensible and refusing to buy in to the unsubstantiated claims of a paranoid few who are a completely insignificant part of a market. If there is a need or reason for spending money it will be spent. If there is a legitimate H&S need it will be spend. Not one country in the world INCLUDING the USA has identified this as a problem.
The CO monitor phenomenon is isolated to less than a handful of people on one small internet forum and thats it. Its not a real world issue.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious that you're not at all interested in improvements, and with the current lack of testing facts one can spin the situation to make it sound ok. If you don't test with one analyzer or another know, it's simply untested, unproven, just hopeful. You could get dealer cost but I doubt that you want to spend even that small amount to prove anything.

There will still be a problem for the traveling tourist after s/he tests, when significant readings are discovered. It's not like one could get money back on the trip if the tanks are bad, but at least the divers who do test will know what they're diving, can make informed decisions on how deep or trying to find cleaner tanks, and such. When I first got my first analyzer, I loaned it to an Instructor leading a trip to Utila, who forgot about it being packed until everyone got ill the first day. Then he tested, discovered bad fills, and the Op took immediate action to drain all tanks, clean the compressor, change filters and who knows what else. He couldn't test 3 tanks/day for the entire group but subsequent tests he did do were much more acceptable.

So affordable inline monitors will not be expected in your area, fine. Cheaper tank testers will be available for who want to be sure in spite of the lack of prevention.

I never suggested a conspiracy, don't know where you heard that idea, but it's not much of a leap for details of accidents to be suppressed to protect the local tourism in some destinations.

Those are examples we know about. It's just too easy for the others to get written off as drownings so we never know.[/INDENT]You have come to this same statement in other threads.
You're not interested in an inline monitor I take it. So get the tank tester then; it's cheap. Test tanks that are filled after the compressor has worked its hardest & hottest, if you want to know how good your efforts are working.I do know my efforts are working. Do you think that you cannot maintain high standards without your wonder sensor? Please.

Bad guess. I do greatly appreciate that Analox developed the product specifically for dive customer needs, but I would be glad to give an interested diver choices on a three other models. The only one cheaper tho is the Pocket CO, which works well but is a bit of a hassle and takes at least 3 minutes per tank. Sounds like a sales pitch if I ever heard one.

See above. But with low cost tank testers going out with more and more divers, some reporting back here, we'll know more in months to come. Tanks will be tested more and more by divers even if the Ops don't care enough, at the worst after incidents and accidents. Last February in Roatan I was only checking my own tank as it did take 3 minutes and the highest readings I got were 5 ppm so I didn't make a big deal about it. My roomie kept feeling ill after diving so I did check one of his but that wasn't his problem; there are many reasons a person can feel ill in Roatan of course, especially on his first dive trip, but you don't know if it could be tank air unless you test.

Several real incidents there actually. Different compressors than the above story, but there were several bad tank tests by different members here. That compressor owner still didn't want to do anything as he has control of fills for most of the island so it took more. I actually got to read the background story on that one; interesting on how things get accomplished at times.So you really do have trouble differentiating between miniscule amounts of data and true relevant numbers.

Ah Australia and much of Europe does have strict rules and possible repercussions. There was still an incident in Australia this year, described on the Analox page. It is an advetising page. Completely believable.... and true documentation.The others are more removed from our knowledge here so we'd not know what's happening in them, all the more reason for the prudent diver to carry his own tester and test tanks.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that you're not at all interested in improvements, and with the current lack of testing facts one can spin the situation to make it sound ok. And you're back to the conspiracy.If you don't test with one analyzer or another know, it's simply untested, unproven, just hopeful. You could get dealer cost but I doubt that you want to spend even that small amount to prove anything.Yeah, that's what it is. I have nothing to prove Don. That is the beauty here.

There will still be a problem for the traveling tourist after s/he tests, when significant readings are discovered. It's not like one could get money back on the trip if the tanks are bad, but at least the divers who do test will know what they're diving, can make informed decisions on how deep or trying to find cleaner tanks, and such. When I first got my first analyzer, I loaned it to an Instructor leading a trip to Utila, who forgot about it being packed until everyone got ill the first day. Then he tested, discovered bad fills, and the Op took immediate action to drain all tanks, clean the compressor, change filters and who knows what else. He couldn't test 3 tanks/day for the entire group but subsequent tests he did do were much more acceptable.

So affordable inline monitors will not be expected in your area, fine. Cheaper tank testers will be available for who want to be sure in spite of the lack of prevention.
As a consumer, I check out my dive areas. I don't just go for the cheap price. I look for the respectable operations and can tell by the maintenance logs if they are doing things right. Look at their ventilation and ask what grade air they use. It is not difficult. You really push awfully hard for your sensors. Do they come with a free trash bag?

Ok I thot you might be open to improvement. I thot wrong...
respectable operations and can tell by the maintenance logs if they are doing things right. Look at their ventilation and ask what grade air they use.
Which has nothing to do with dieseling; do you know how that happens?

Many people, including Don and I, started to become worried about CO poisoning back when two people died of CO poisoning in Roatan around 5 years ago and there was quite a cover-up. Then the Maldives CO poisoning where one person died and I believe 9 people became sick. The Bauer press release about the lack of maintenance of the compressor on the liveaboard, the improper filter and the high test results of the tanks became public knowledge. Now there were a lot more people taking notice.

Don was active in those threads long before personal CO monitors were available and he was demanding proper maintenance and testing in all countries. One company took notice, responded on the thread and created a preliminary personal model and others, taking user suggestions from Don and other people. I am quite certain that Don does not work for any testing company nor does he sell them.

Then early this year there were CO poisonings in Cozumel where several people became sick, were convulsing or went unconscious but lived. The manager publicly apologized and vowed to not let it happen again. His compressor was shut down for months and he stated that he was looking into an inline CO monitor. He was removed from the hotel and the shop went under new management.

Analox cites a CO poisoning case in Australia on their website, but I haven't heard anything else about it.

There was an incident of suspected CO poisoning in Canada resulting in death recently, but it has not been officially confirmed.

Some people were getting moderate to high readings of CO on thier personal testers in Coz recently and pushed Meridian to get inline CO monitors and a portable tester.

There have been enough suspected and confirmed cases of CO poisoning for divers to take notice and become increasingly concerned about it. Don is not alone in his concern, and it is not only in the US or on one board, though the concern is probably mostly in North America.

A carbon monoxide contaminated tank can cause illness from a slight headache to flu-like symptoms or even death.

Diving a carbon monixide contaminated tank is a risk I am not willing to take, and why I bought my own CO analyzer.

I test every tank before I dive it, even tanks from my reliable LDS, regardless of how good the fill station says their air is.

Why would I take anybody's word regarding their air quality, when I can spend 15 seconds and see for myself? For me, this is an easy step to ensure that the air that is supposed to keep me alive during the next dive isn't going to poison me instead.

What Don has done for this board and many divers is to raise awareness and provide information, and for this I'm grateful.

Yes there is the odd incident but thats a tiny tiny tiny part of a single percentage point.

String--

Even though an incident may be a tiny, tiny, tiny part of a single percentage point, to the diver who gets that odd CO contaminated tank, I'll bet it's a significant issue.

However, if that same diver tested the tank beforehand, found it contaminated and exchanged it for a clean tank, you (as a dive professional, dive shop owner or boat crew) were just spared from having to deal with an illness or possible death.

Which has nothing to do with dieseling; do you know how that happens?

Yeah, I know how it happens. Dieseling refers to when a combustion engine continues to run after it's been shut off. It was common on older cars with low octane fuels and a lot of carbon buildup in the combustion chambers. The carbon would retain heat and ignite fuel that leaked in from the carbs, causing the engine to continue to run even after the ignition system was cut off.

This is much less common in today's cars that are fuel injected because the fuel source is cut off as well as the ignition.

What does any of that have to do with a compressor that is typically run by an electric motor?

Yeah, I know how it happens. Dieseling refers to when a combustion engine continues to run after it's been shut off. It was common on older cars with low octane fuels and a lot of carbon buildup in the combustion chambers. The carbon would retain heat and ignite fuel that leaked in from the carbs, causing the engine to continue to run even after the ignition system was cut off.

This is much less common in today's cars that are fuel injected because the fuel source is cut off as well as the ignition.

What does any of that have to do with a compressor that is typically run by an electric motor?
:laughing: Hehe, ok that's the more common meaning yes. Originally attributed to diesel trucks and tractors. Not the meaning I was referencing here, but then maybe not well known among compressor operators and tech divers? I has presumed that it was but bad guess maybe? I just saw a good post on that so I'll excerpt from that here...
Also remember the 'eyes can't see what the brain doesn't know' and to many in the dive industry the notion of a compressor actually producing CO from within due to overheating and burning or dieseling of the compressor's lubricant oil is a new concept to consider and one that is not necessarily intuitive.

The fire service industry has recognized this risk wholeheartedly only as of about 5 years ago but that was only after a large urban service discovered CO in their SCBA tanks across the city and a researcher published the results. It took another 5 years of industry education before we saw it written into the NFPA compressed breathing air standard where all fire service compressors in the USA must now have an inline CO monitor installed.

I have spoken to the researcher who discovered the CO in the fire service air despite a large electric compressor with a intake well away from any vehicular exhaust and the initial reaction by the fire service was one of shock, disbelief, and denial. Imagine a fire fighter who is trained to put on his SCBA at 35 ppm CO in the ambient air in order to protect himself finds out there is 250 ppm or carbon monoxide in the compressed breathing air he is supposed use while in the fire. In this case it took several weeks to verify the origin and mechanism of the contamination and several months to rectify the issues which lead to the compressor overheating. CO monitors were installed voluntarily several months later across the fire service.

When a breathing air compressor overheats (higher risk in high ambient heat tropical areas) and the temperature in any of the stages exceeds the autoignition temperature of the lubricant oil one will get pyrolysis or dieseling of the compressor oil with production of carbon monoxide. If there is no catalyst (Hopcalite) in the purifier to convert the toxic CO produced to less toxic CO2, or if the catalyst is excessively moist as the cartridge end-of-service life has been reached the CO will pass directly into the cascade or individual tanks.

The term was first used in a paper by Dr. Claire Austin, an industrial hygienist, who has done work on compressed breathing air quality for divers and fire fighters.
Carbon monoxide and water vapor contamination of c... [J Toxicol Environ Health. 1997] - PubMed result

Since the publication of her paper and further research on the frequency of CO contamination in compressed breathing air all US fire service compressors are now required to have inline CO monitors installed as of 2008.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom