Input on regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dawghouse

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just getting started in scuba diving looking for input on regulators? I live in the Midwest so it needs be good in the cold water. Would like to get into technical diving someday. So I'm looking for a unit that can grow with me but also not break my bank. Have looked at Aqua lung, Apeks, Scubapro, and Zeagle would like input on their units and any other ones that are out there.

I started with an Atomic M1, it also has a recommended maintence cycle of once every two years.

Cruise on over to Lockport if you can and have a look at a couple of things at Dive Right In. The HOG regs will definitely not break the bank and are quite nice. Some time ago, Hollis (Oceanic) was matching those great prices with their technical regs.

You might want to check out the Edge Epic, as well. Sold by the same company that sells the HOG. HOG is DIN and meant for tech diving. Edge is yoke and meant for recreational divers.

Reactions: Jax
HOG is DIN and meant for tech diving. Edge is yoke and meant for recreational divers.
Which is why my g/f who will only ever dive recreational uses a single tank HOG reg set. Wait, what? I thought they were tech regs? Nothing wrong with the Edge line but if even thinking of going tech why not start with the better regs?

Here is a great kit to start with which can easily be expanded on for a doubles setup. It comes with the proper length hoses and all the accessories needed like an SPG and the clips needed. Also offered in the cold water version. Make sure to use big gated clips for cold water diving. No need for a big ring at the bottom though. The reg can be changed to yoke easily, just call the company below and ask.
HOG Gear D1 Singles Regulator Package w/ SPG

If you want to come out one step ahead of many of us, buy the right gear the first time not two sets of gear. Read this article below for a system that works in most every dive situation from casual 15' recreational dives, to wreck penetrations, cave diving, and deco diving.
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

Beginning around March HOG is bringing in the officical kits to convert the regs from DIN to yoke. The regs still will not come in yoke from the factory. The kits will be an option the dealer can offer and install. if you buy the reg from me installation is free and you get the DIN connection shipped with it should you ever want to switch back.

The basic thing to look for in a reg is reliability. There are a number of them out there. In fact every reg nowadays is. You just need to decide what your budget is, what features you want, and where do you see yourself diving down the road. At this point you may have no idea and that's fine. Fact is many who really get into this don;t limit themselves to one reg or even one full set of gear.

I'm pressed for time now but my own recommendation for you - Yoke reg, sealed diaphragm, adjustable second stage, octo of equal quality and performance. No need to go cheap on that. In fact if the octo is the same as the primary even better. Stay away from gimmicks like second srage covers that require tools to take off. Flashy finishes look nice but often do nothing for performance. Get a reg that is easly serviced and can get parts for. If you can get parts any good tech who is careful can do the service.

I was looking for the same thing and bought the Scubapro MK17/G250V combo. It breathes great even under ice, no free flows yet. Crossing fingers now.

Beginning around March HOG is bringing in the officical kits to convert the regs from DIN to yoke. The regs still will not come in yoke from the factory. The kits will be an option the dealer can offer and install. if you buy the reg from me installation is free and you get the DIN connection shipped with it should you ever want to switch back.

The basic thing to look for in a reg is reliability. There are a number of them out there. In fact every reg nowadays is. You just need to decide what your budget is, what features you want, and where do you see yourself diving down the road. At this point you may have no idea and that's fine. Fact is many who really get into this don;t limit themselves to one reg or even one full set of gear.

I'm pressed for time now but my own recommendation for you - Yoke reg, sealed diaphragm, adjustable second stage, octo of equal quality and performance. No need to go cheap on that. In fact if the octo is the same as the primary even better. Stay away from gimmicks like second srage covers that require tools to take off. Flashy finishes look nice but often do nothing for performance. Get a reg that is easly serviced and can get parts for. If you can get parts any good tech who is careful can do the service.

I might have to pick one of those up. I think for travel to a place I know I'll be using my adapter all the time, I'd rather swap the hoses and take a yoke Reg. Especially considering that I'm constantly removing the drysuit hose for trips anyhow.

I had went with Atomic's M1 for similar needs - now I have three of them. If cost concerns you, check out scubaboard classifieds. I picked up what is now my favorite reg (a just-serviced M1 upgraded with a T2x lever) there for the high, high price of $300.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom