Instructor Experience

How many dives and how many agencies do you teach for?

• 100 logged dives +

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • 250 logged dives +

• 350 logged dives +

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • 600 logged dives +

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 1000 logged dives +

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • 1 Agency

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • 2 Agencies

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • 3 Agencies

• 4 Agencies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 or more Agencies

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coberry7 once bubbled...
Umm, gear exchange? That is not a qualification of any certification agecy that I know of for an Open Water Diver.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And you weren't aware this one existed, does make that statement true when you think about it.

This statement makes no sense.

Please clarify.

I agree.

No more feeding the trolls for me until it becomes an intelligent conversation.

Talking to Karl is like watching a long slow train wreck...It never gets better, but is very tempting to watch.

Time to avert my gaze from the train wreck.

Sorry, ya'll.

Colin Berry

coberry7 once bubbled...

You refuse to provide such proof. I believe that you cannot provide such proof regarding a SCUBA cert. Agency that does not teach mask removal/replacement.

A little patience, and you may see someone else post regarding their view that full mask removal is not a part of their instructor standards, and that partial mask flooding and clearing is sufficient.

Like I said, I wont speak for them. Patience, perhaps, will reward you.

coberry7 once bubbled...

True.

For others to take you seriously and be able to believe what you have said, you will need to provide proof. What you have said above, notwithstanding.

You refuse to provide such proof. I believe that you cannot provide such proof regarding a SCUBA cert. Agency that does not teach mask removal/replacement.

Therefore, anything you say until you can prvide such proof to back up your claims is irrelevant.

C'mon folks...Anyone who has even *read* one of these kinds of discussions that Karl infiltrates into knows that he is just stirring it up...

You'll never get the details...So don't bother....

But it is entertaining though...and Free!

scubasean once bubbled...

C'mon folks...Anyone who has even *read* one of these kinds of discussions that Karl infiltrates into knows that he is just stirring it up...

I prefer to think of it as "food for thought". :)

Live long enough, dive long enough, and eventually you see a little bit of everything.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
For the instructors on this board. How much diving experience do you have, different enviroments, logged dives etc. How many agencies are you an instructor for?

Back to the question at hand.....

I teach for one agency (NAUI) though in the past I have also been an NACD instructor. With regard to the experience question, I was first certified 17 years ago, and I have been averaging right around 100 dives a year since. I became an instructor in 1994, after having worked as a resort divemaster for 2 years. I got started diving on the Northern Gulf Coast of Florida, spent 2 years on Guam and tramping around the West Pacific, a couple of months in the Pacific NW (Whidby Island), Mexico and the Carribean, the Keys (of course), Florida's east coast, as well as Mid-Atlantic states. As many of you know, I'm a pretty active cave diver, and caves and deep wrecks are what I do for fun now, and that is also the direction my teaching has taken. I'm looking forward to my first dives in New England later this month. I've been a lot of places and done some really great diving, but there's still a whole lot of ocean out there to play in.

Man, that's some serious experience...

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
Man, that's some serious experience...

Speaking of ChickDiver, there are some incredible professional divers here with incredible credentials. I still worry about anyone going into caves. But I know she knows what she is doing, and I hope her buddies know what they are doing as well.

The most likely thing to get you killed in technical diving is breathing the wrong mix at the wrong depth. There are ways to prevent that.

The second most likely thing to get you killed technical diving is one of your buddies. There is no way to control that.

So I will just pray for ChickDiver when she goes into those caves.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...

However it is not anyone's place to correct an instructor. Any instructor.

Sure it is...when the instructor is full of it...you've been corrected here many times and we'll continue to correct you whenever you are wrong, instructor or not.

Lies, deceit, misinformation, half-truths and outright BS all need to be challenged and corrected.

Glad you go through life just taking what you're taught at face value...shows your brain is working real well.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...
Speaking of ChickDiver, there are some incredible professional divers here with incredible credentials. I still worry about anyone going into caves. But I know she knows what she is doing, and I hope her buddies know what they are doing as well.

The most likely thing to get you killed in technical diving is breathing the wrong mix at the wrong depth. There are ways to prevent that.

The second most likely thing to get you killed technical diving is one of your buddies. There is no way to control that.

So I will just pray for ChickDiver when she goes into those caves.

You know, I try and I try and I try... but I can't turn away from this one.

Do you have any clue what Accident Analysis is? Any cave diver on this board could tell you the six causes of fatalities, and they are, IN ORDER:

1. Training (lack of)
2. Guidline (not using one)
3. Air (breaking Rule of 1/3s)
4. Depth (exceeding MOD)
5. Lights (not carrying 3)
6. Solo

ugh...

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom